question about unsure egg on day 23.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Teresaann24, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Today is day 23 I have 4 eggs under a broody 3 hatched but 1 I bought it inside an candled and I am unsure of this egg. I can see an air sac but whatever the blob is is loosely in the egg i cant see much but I can see sme veining. Is this a normal eggs? or is it dead?

2. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    also the air sac looks dry and the mass inside is kinda like a blob instead of a mass like a chick..I am so unsure.

3. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    will it move in the egg? if not it may be dead, if you are sure it is on day 23. the egg should be real full of chick, not just a small blob

4. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    it does not move on its only only when I am turning the egg while candling. I can't really explain it it just looks different. The air sac looks dry and then it looks like this moving blob idk. It's just different.

5. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Yes 100% sure its on day 23. 3 of the others have already hatched.

It just looks like liquid.

6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    when did the other 3 hatch?
    I know this is probably what not to do, but it is what I do anyway [​IMG]
    If it has been over 24-36 hours since the last hatch I pull the egg and candle. I tap it, if nothing, I wait a few while candling to see any movement. If after a few minutes of trying to stir it up and nothing happens I make a small hole at the very top, just big enough for my smallest finger. I then touch it through the membrane. If it moves, which they always do if they are alive, I just cover the hole with a piece of scotch tape. It isn't near where they pip and it keeps the moisture in. If it feels cold and hard I check it further to see why it passed.

Also, a dud doens't keep any heat. I can tell by holding an egg if it is viable. A chick that dies in the egg doesnt' maintain any heat. The egg feels cool quickly. But it must have already been warm, because a viable chick can only hold onto the heat for a short time anyway.
    Good luck with whatever you decide.

7. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:If it looks like liquid be careful [​IMG]

8. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I know..LOL so it should not look like liquid on day 23 should it?

9. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Quote:I'm scared to try this because I had a bad thing happen to me once. I thought my eggs were duds and began to open them to see why they didnt hatch and the chicks were alive. Even if I know an egg is a goner it is still hard for me to open them up.

10. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    that is why I carefully open the very top and nowhere near the membrane, I have had them be fine doing this. If it looks liquidity it sounds like a quitter....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by