Question about using cinder blocks for coop and run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by townhen, Jan 19, 2015.

1. townhen

townhen Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2015
    I'm still in the planning stages for our coop (though hopefully will start building soon!) and was wondering about burying cinder blocks around the perimeter of the coop and run to keep predators/ pests out. The coop and run area will be approximately 10 x 5 for a maximum of 6 chickens (the most allowed by our town). The cinder blocks would be buried to a depth of 8 inches and the wooden coop and run would rest directly on top, with hardware cloth buried outside of the cinder blocks as an extra layer of protection against burrowing critters. Even though we are in town, we have a little bit of everything passing through our yard - including foxes. My question is, is the eight inches that the cinder blocks are buried deep enough to deter hungry wildlife, or does an additional layer of blocks need to be buried even deeper? I want some reassurances before I start on this project. Thanks!

2. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    [​IMG]

3. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

8" might not be deep enough alone, but your apron will work great.

I used a 24 inch apron of fencing. This works just fine.

Most predators will dig deep but not smart enough to start a foot or so back from the fence.

Hope this helps.

4. townhen

townhen Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2015
    Good to know... I'll make sure I make my apron extends out extra far... sound much easier than digging down and adding an extra layer of cinder blocks.

5. Cluckies

Cluckies Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    We used cinder blocks buried, and then capped them with 4" pavers. We didn't bury hardware cloth, but we are on clay which is cement 11 months out of the year. If it was sand or dirt I would bury some hardware cloth. If I see any sign of a predator trying to get in by digging, i'll rethink that.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. alica31

alica31 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2014
    Georgia
    WELCOME, WELCOME, WELCOME TO BYC!!![​IMG]

7. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you have issues with frost lifting your foundation?

8. Cluckies

Cluckies Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    None yet, but this is our first winter with it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by