1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about using egg carton with floating air cell

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LOPRFYLER, Jul 20, 2008.

1. LOPRFYLER

LOPRFYLER Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2008
    Hello everybody, I am new to this sight, but I've been reading and learning alot over the last several weeks on this forum. Now I am stumped and could use some advice. A few days ago I set a dozen EE bantam eggs in the incubator that were shipped. I thought I should candle them just to make sure that there were not any large dark blobs in them (I was told that blobs this early explode). I noticed that 10 out of 12 eggs had air cells that move freely around as I roll the eggs. I read other members posts with the same problem were advised to use an egg carton, stand egg up straight, and not to turn them. I was wondering how long can the eggs go without turning when standing on end like that. This isn't my first hatch, but the first time with this problem. I already have 5 heins 57 bantys that are 3 weeks old, 9 cochin banty eggs in a different incubator that are on day 10 and all of them are just dancing inside their little eggs, and now I'm working on the EE banty eggs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    I have no idea what to tell you about the floating air cell. I have had eggs like that but I always just treated them like my others and I had 1 hatch out about a week ago. I do want to say: [​IMG]

3. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I have had some broken or loose cells from shipped eggs also. I use the carton method but I do continue to turn the carton side to side. I've had plenty hatch!

4. LOPRFYLER

LOPRFYLER Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2008
    Well I'll keep at it... Thanks for quick responses.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by