Question about using linoleum in the coop.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Danigirl3, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Danigirl3

Danigirl3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Central Maine
    So I have been working on this coop (forever). Some of you may have read my rant in the "Uggggg is this coop ever going to be finished" thread. Most of it is now done. The inside itself is done enough for them to move in. Some have started laying and I have no laying boxes in the makeshift one so tonight I put them in the big coop. . I put linoleum on the floor like a lot of others have done and covered it with shavings. I put the chickens in and all was well until one of them slipped and the whole coop became a scene out of The Birds. Do they eventually get use to the floor or does it get scuffed just enough so it isn't quit so slippery? I was starting to think maybe it wasn't such a good idea.

2. cshells2009

cshells2009 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2009
    You will love it when it comes time to clean the coop, maybe you just need more shavings?

3. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    They will eventually get used to it. Mine did. It is pretty hysterical to watch though. We put down the squares of linoleum (kind of regret that now because a couple have come unstuck), and it's a breeze to clean. I just did my post-summer coop cleaning and didn't have any problems scraping up the crud. It was slippery for the girls for the first couple of days, but after that they're back to normal. Have fun!

4. Big C

Big C J & C Farms

Dec 15, 2008
    Vernon Texas
    We would never use that in any way.
    The glue excretes the chemicals used to adhere it to the wood.

5. Danigirl3

Danigirl3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Central Maine
    Thanks! Plenty of shavings I think. About two to three inches deep and of course when you put new shavings down they are kind of fluffy. They were all scratching around and one slipped and it was a chain reaction. What a sight and I was right in the middle of it. lol

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:The Birds...hehehehee...now THAT'S a classic! [​IMG]

7. substandardtim

substandardtim Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2009
    need deeper shavings, the bigger the animal the deeper the shavings need to be to be non skid.

my fil just gave me a MASSIVE roll of linoleum and I want to redo the floor of the coop with it. current floor is a scrap of old plastic to keep the wood from getting damp.

8. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    in regard to the concern about the glue toxins, you could also use a staple gun to attach the linoleum to the floor and have the best of both worlds.

9. substandardtim

substandardtim Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2009
    if its a single roll of heavy stuff do you really need to staple it down like you would for tiles?

10. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:If it were me, and i'm certainly no expert, i think i would want to staple down at least the corners and the edges, just to make sure it's in tight, and you're not having the edges rolling up or getting bedding underneath the linoleum.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by