Question about Valley and Blue Scales.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by BlueMottie, Oct 29, 2009.

1. BlueMottie

BlueMottie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    Rock
    I recently purchased several pairs of blue scales, gambels, and valley quail. They're all housed indoors and in large, wirebottomed pens. I've read that they begin breeding around May, give or take, but today I saw both my Valleys and my Blue Scales breeding. Now my question is, there isn't much probability that eggs will be ensuing, will there? It is very warm in the room, so perhaps that birds are thinking that it is spring? I don't really want to get excited over nothing, so perhaps you seasoned quail raisers might be able to tell me weather to expect eggs or not?

Thanks,

Bluemottie

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quail Are Seasonal Breeders..... Its Not So Much The Ambient Temperature Of Their Surroundings, Its The Amount Of Hours Of Light A Day.... 14 Hrs Of Light Flips A Switch In Their Tiny Bird Brains Thats Says "hey Time To Make More Quail..." If They Are Breeding Then Eggs Are Likely To Ensue.... Actual Fertility May Be In Question, But Usually 1 Event Preceeds The Other If You Get My Meaning?

3. BlueMottie

Jan 3, 2009
    Rock
    That would make sense as I do have a light on them. Haha, I get what you mean, so I sure do hope that eggs are going to be coming!

4. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    If You Can Get Fertile Eggs Outta Them They'd Be A Rare Comodity This Time Of Year......

5. BlueMottie

Jan 3, 2009
    Rock
    I was just thinking that....but first I would definitely keep a few dozen for hatching. I don't have very many of them and would like to get a few more without paying up the wazoo for the birds and shipping (although they would definitely be worth it!)

6. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    They Are Not Prolific Layers Such As Coturnix Are.... Average For These Is 12-20 Eggs/ Per Hen Per Season With Most Cycling A Laying Season That Starts Late Spring And Lasts 3-4 Wks, Then Again Late Summer For Another 2-4 Wks..... With The Usual Being 12-20 Eggs During These Cycles.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by