Question about washing clothes...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Smartie_Pants, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Songster

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    I have some really nice shirts that I bought for school this year and I would like to keep them in good condition. Our washer is a top loader with a dasher, and it tends to fade the clothes pretty fast, and they just don't look good after a few washes.

Do you have any tips to keep them looking good?

2. hikerchick

hikerchick Songster

Apr 6, 2009
    Dover, PA
    Wash them by hand or have them dry cleaned.

What is a dasher?

3. McGoo

McGoo Songster

It does take time, but the best way to preserve clothes are to handwash with woolite or some type of gentle soap. Hang dry and fluff in the dryer for only few minutes... or just gently iron.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Using cold water will help keep the colors from fading so fast.

5. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Songster

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Quote:The big thing in the middle that spins and whips them around in the washer.

6. Mrs. Glassman

Mrs. Glassman Songster

Apr 29, 2009
    Cedartown, Georgia
    Avoid using the dryer too. All that lint in the lint filter---that's pieces of your clothes that the dryer munched on.

I like to hang my clothes to dry, but not in the sun! The sun will bleach the color out.

7. hikerchick

hikerchick Songster

Apr 6, 2009
    Dover, PA
    Quote:The big thing in the middle that spins and whips them around in the washer.

Oh., I know what you mean. I always called it the agitator. (maybe because I am an agitator.)

8. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Songster

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY

Oh., I know what you mean. I always called it the agitator. (maybe because I am an agitator.)

Down here we call it the dasher, unless you are actually in the washing machine business.

9. hikerchick

hikerchick Songster

Apr 6, 2009
    Dover, PA
    Quote:Oh., I know what you mean. I always called it the agitator. (maybe because I am an agitator.)

Down here we call it the dasher, unless you are actually in the washing machine business.

I think you got some good advice- if you don't want to hand wash or dry clean, wash them on cold and use the delicate cycle if you have it; if you MUST use the dryer, use it on low.

10. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Songster

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    If I handwash and use fabric softener, then they shouldn't be stiff if I hang dry them, right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: