question about weird honking noise?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ginger c., Jul 5, 2011.

1. ginger c.

ginger c. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Alabama
    one of our EE's, Emma Jean, keeps honking like a goose, is this normal? if so any idea why she's doing this? [​IMG]

2. R_Chickens

R_Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Our Roos sounded like that when they were trying to crow early on. They were in the basement and it sounded almost like a child whining.

Our alpha Roo, Courageous, has his full cock-a-doodle-doo, but the other two are still going through their 'voice changes' [​IMG]

Some of the hens made a similar noise until they realized that their purpose was different than the Roos.

- JC

3. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Hey I have a chicken that barks so I can't help ya.

4. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    ginger c. :

one of our EE's, Emma Jean, keeps honking like a goose, is this normal? if so any idea why she's doing this? [​IMG]

My Buff Orpington used to do this all the time when she was younger. I haven't heard her do it in a long time. I was sure there was something wrong with her at the time until I was told it's one of those oddities that falls within chicken "normal." [​IMG]

5. myhubbycallsmechickeemama

myhubbycallsmechickeemama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Arco, ID
    My BO's do it too and I just call it their big girl voices! [​IMG]

6. R_Chickens

R_Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Quote:Oh yeah? How many legs that chicken have? 4? [​IMG] [​IMG]

I've heard of a parrot barking, but a chicken is a new one to me!

- JC

7. abbey808

abbey808 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Hawaii
    My two five month old girls have been honking for the past month. I've noticed that it's getting more frequent and much louder! They used to only do it once in a while, but now it's their primary method of communication (mostly with each other). At first I thought it was weird that my girls sounded more like geese than chickens, but after reading a few forum posts I guess this is normal? (I hope) [​IMG]

Leigh

8. csummer8882

csummer8882 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
    I hope this is normal! That is also a new sound I have begun to notice with my girls too. They are almost 11 weeks old. Friend of the family says they are growing into their big girl voices. I hope so too! [​IMG]

9. Sorin

Sorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    I wouldn't worry, I have a couple that let out a honk once in a while. There doesnt seem to be any particular reason why.

10. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    we have honking noises around our coop,but thats when I wear my floppy shoes and use my clown horn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by