Question about wet bellies

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by aemoody, Aug 5, 2013.

1. aemoody

aemoody Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2013
    We just got three leghorn chicks (I think that is what they are) from a fair. They were selling them to kids at a petting zoo. they were donated from a chicken house, when I found them I had to bring them home. I have noticed their bellies seem bare, could something be wrong with them they don't feel wet but look like it. I was thinking they were dirty.. Just not sure how to help them, and if something is wrong I don't want to put them with my others? Any help would be great! Thank you

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Could you post a pic? I have a sneaking suspicion what you have aren't Leghorns but Cornish Cross. The Cornish X is bred for rapid growth and it doesn't see that feather growth keeps up with body growth. Plus they seem to spend a lot of time loafing which rubs over the breast and belly feathers.

3. aemoody

Jun 6, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Here is one. The worst. What is loafing?
    [​IMG]

4. aemoody

Jun 6, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. aemoody

Jun 6, 2013
    That is the other two

6. aemoody

Jun 6, 2013
    They do seem to lay a lot. I have been trying to take them out of the box and let them play with my children, to get them moving. is that bad

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I, too, suspect that they are not leghorns, but instead Cornish X broiler chicks. Their only purpose in life is to grow as quick as possible, which means that they eat a lot, feather slowly, and are very lazy. But I could be wrong. Post new photos in a week, and then we'll see.

8. aemoody

Jun 6, 2013
    Could they make a pet. Will the die sooner. Will it harm the rest of my flock to mix them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by