Question about what feed i should be using

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by flnursebiz, Sep 4, 2010.

1. flnursebiz

flnursebiz Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2010
    orlando
    My girls will be 16 weeks old on Weds. I have been feeding them Nutrena grower from the beginning. I am beginning to question my feed stores advice. I called the store 2 days after i brought my chicks home they said the grower is fine, that I did noit need chick starter. Now they are telling me to continue to the grower feed until after my chicks lay and then keep them on the same feed just offer oyster to them. I also did not realize that this feed is medicated. It does not say this on the bag but they did tell me today. The reason we got the chicks was to have healthier eggs and to eat more organically. i am a hospice RN and feel there is a huge relationship between chemicals we are exposed to and our health. What should I feed my girls? They do free range about 6 hours a day in my backyard and their treats are organic yogurt and produce.

2. cletus the rooster

cletus the rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

laying mash.the color of the label on the feed bag is a give away.green is medicated(at least around here )

3. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Huh, I thought all medicated feed had to be labeled as such. Are you getting it repackaged or buy it in the original bag? At any rate, first get them on nonmedicated grower to get the meds out of their system before they lay. You can supplement this with oyster shells as a free choice until they are laying, then switch over to a layer feed.

4. flnursebiz

Jun 14, 2010
    orlando
    I buy it at the feed store in the original packaging. What brands of feed are not medicated? Thank God for BYC because she was the one I turned to for advice. Oviously she does not understand why I have my chickens.

5. cletus the rooster

cletus the rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

i had to look around for a feed store that sold unmedicated.some only carry the medicated.you can tell by the label.as i stated before green label is medicated,yellow label is not

6. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    I bought Dumor from Tractor Supply and Nutrena from another feed store--both are unmedicated. Check the label. Most of the medicated feeds that I've seen say it right on the bag.

7. flnursebiz

Jun 14, 2010
    orlando
    I looked today, it was not written on the bag but it was written on a tag that was attached to the bottom of the bag. I will probably try tractor supply since this seems to be the one the feed stores carry. Thank you for your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by