1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

question about what i saw when candling...very upset... posted pics

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by orlandoluv1, Mar 24, 2008.

1. orlandoluv1

orlandoluv1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    spring valley , CA
    ok so i candled my eggs tonight. i am on day 10 currently all 3 have movemnet and look ok except that 1 of them has this really dark almost black shadow like a line running up the side of the sgg. allso where the peep is it is very dark and defined not like the other 2. i know i see him in there swimming around but im really scared abou tthat black line on the side. im sorry i cant explian it better but if anyone has any ideas on what it could be and if this little guy is gonna make it. thanks for your help

Last edited: Mar 24, 2008
  2. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    It may be hard, but can you get a pic?

3. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    That black line could be a vein.

4. airmom1c05

airmom1c05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    I think if it were a blood ring you wouldn't see the chick moving around. You are more fortunate than I if you see the chick moving. I have three left of five that I am hoping are OK, but I'm not sure as this is my first experience with candling and hatching! I'm glad the boody hen is doing her part wonderfully! [​IMG] Candle it every night to make sure you see movement. Have you looked at many pictures of a blood ring? Some have blood spots (dead embryos) and some don't. I don't recall seeing a picture of one with a live embryo in a blood ring.

5. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    I wouldn't candle every night, as it can let out valuable heat and humidity, but you could try one or twice a week [​IMG]

6. airmom1c05

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    I guess it's different using an incubator. I was told it's OK to candle every day or night, but my eggs are under a hen. Your thoughts?

7. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    I think if it were a blood ring you wouldn't see the chick moving around.

And it would definitely have a circular form .....

If you can see movement it's alive and well, at least now.

Keep an eye on it, and your fingers crossed. Bear in mind that nature appears to have a way of ensuring that eggs that were never meant to hatch, never do. It's sad, but it's normal.​

8. orlandoluv1

Mar 20, 2008
    spring valley , CA
    how do i post a pic

9. airmom1c05

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    Upload the pic to a place like Photobucket. Then click on the IMG link under the uploaded picture. Then simply paste it in the forum message box! [​IMG]

10. orlandoluv1

Mar 20, 2008
    spring valley , CA
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by