Question about what kind of "chicken wire" to use?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Shikens!, May 10, 2011.

1. Shikens!

Shikens! Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    I have been searching for a reasonable price for hardware cloth after reading all the warnings about regular chicken wire, man is it expensive!!! I found an alternative that is less expensive can I use it?

It's called, 1-Inch Mesh 20-Gauge Hexagonal Poultry Netting.

My main predators are raccoons, opossums and lots of hawks and owls!

Thanks!

2. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    I believe that's just another name for 'chicken wire.' Sorry.

3. latebloomer

latebloomer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    green mountain state
    must be better than the 2" hex mesh though...

4. Shikens!

May 2, 2011
    I though chicken wire had much larger holes?

5. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    I've only ever seen chicken wire on runs and coops with the 1 inch holes, but maybe it's common to use the bigger stuff in other areas, I don't know. [​IMG]

6. Player Hater

Player Hater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    "poultry netting" is just chicken wire

7. Shikens!

May 2, 2011
    Most of the hardware cloth I am seeing is 19 gauge, this "chicken wire" is 20 gauge. I am having a hard time understanding what the difference is other than one is called chicken wire and one is called hardware cloth?

What is the differentiating factor I need to be looking for while shopping for wire?

8. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    Shikens! :

Most of the hardware cloth I am seeing is 19 gauge, this "chicken wire" is 20 gauge. I am having a hard time understanding what the difference is other than one is called chicken wire and one is called hardware cloth?

What is the differentiating factor I need to be looking for while shopping for wire?

Chicken wire is hexogons and harware cloth is little squares. Fencing--good fencing for any kind of animal is expensive because wire is expensive. That is just the cold hard truth. If you can find coated chicken wire, it is better than most. I have discovered also that the chicken wire from your farm and home stores is MUCH better and stronger than say like Lowes. DH picked some up from Lowes and OMG that stuff was like a net seriously! Our other wire you have to actually unroll and bend it out straight. I think the 20 gauge would probably be alright. As long as you are locking your birds up at night you won't have much trouble. Most animals only attack at night- like racoons and such.​

9. Player Hater

Player Hater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    hardware cloth is usually welded, and will be shaped like a grid

poultry netting is chicken wire, it's twisted together and isn't as good

if you can afford it, go with hardware cloth, with the small squares

10. Shikens!

May 2, 2011
    Quote:Chicken wire is hexogons and harware cloth is little squares. Fencing--good fencing for any kind of animal is expensive because wire is expensive. That is just the cold hard truth. If you can find coated chicken wire, it is better than most. I have discovered also that the chicken wire from your farm and home stores is MUCH better and stronger than say like Lowes. DH picked some up from Lowes and OMG that stuff was like a net seriously! Our other wire you have to actually unroll and bend it out straight. I think the 20 gauge would probably be alright. As long as you are locking your birds up at night you won't have much trouble. Most animals only attack at night- like racoons and such.

Yes, it is expensive!

Is it the way the wire is constructed that makes it stronger? I am willing to pay to keep my new babies SAFE! I just don't want to pay way too much for something I don't actually need.

I can either buy 20 gauge 1" chicken wire, or buy 1" 19 gauge hardware cloth for almost 50% more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by