1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about White Leghorns feet and leg color

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by timordog, May 7, 2009.

1. timordog

timordog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2008
    I have two White Leghorns, they look very different, for one thing, one has bright yellow legs/feet and the other has green. The one with green feet is also "fluffy" in the head, with no discernible comb or waddle. Any ideas???????

2. chicken stalker

chicken stalker TOS Rocks!

Aug 31, 2008
    Binghamton, NY
    I read somewhere if a leghorn is crossed with a rooster that has dark legs that the offspring will be sex linked by leg color. Boys will look like mom, yellow legs and girls will have dark legs like dad. Not sure how true it is...I 'm going to try it out if my leghorn ever cooperates and stops cracking her eggs!

3. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    Leghorns have yellow legs and feet. The one with the green legs and fluffy face is probably an Easter Egger.

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Where did you buy your chicks ?

5. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:I agree!

6. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Quote:[​IMG]

7. enola

The reason I asked where the chicks were bought, is because I have the same thing here with my chicks. I bought 4 Barred Rocks, 4 Leghorns and 4 Araucanas ( [​IMG] EE's) at TSC. All were supposed to be pullets.

The Barred Rocks are nice, all pullets as far as I can tell, with nice barring and shading on their legs.

The Leghorns have grown nice, but.... One of them has green legs and I think it is getting tufts. I say 'it' because 'it' may be a rooster. (I highly suspect that it/he is an EE.) The other three have beautiful yellow legs, but, one of them may be a rooster.

The EE's (because I know TSC doesn't know the difference) have really grown nicely. They were the first ones to feather out, they are also the biggest and most docile. They also have yellow legs and single combs. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] AND I am almost sure that one of them is a rooster [​IMG]

I won't be buying any more pullets from TSC ! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  8. enola

Update on above post . . . .

I called TSC today and told them about their pullets that I know are not going to lay colored eggs for me. They are going to refund me my money.

The manager said he could not take the chickens back, but since I was disatisfied with them he would refund my money.

They are going to lay brown eggs, but, after investing in all the feed that they have eaten, I want to keep them anyway ! Besides, they are really sweet.

9. love4mychick

love4mychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    i had 12 leghorns and they have white feet the green feet is propally and easter egger [​IMG]

10. Artemis Moon

Artemis Moon Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2016
    Maryland
    [​IMG]

Not sure if this is a Leghorn or not. It was the only survivor from my friends flock that was attacked by a fox. He doesn't remember the breed. Any ideas? She lays light brown eggs, small comb, and has green legs.

Any help is greatly appreciated. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by