question about wild duck eggs/mama

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by supermommy, Apr 30, 2009.

1. supermommy

supermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    central ny
    my husband is a maint. Tech at an apartment complex, they are right on a stream that seems to run forever. About 2 weeks ago hubby came home and told me about a nest with a mama duck on it. Well a few days later he saw mama and her babies in the water, she had 13 of them little ones [​IMG] Inside her nest he said was still 5 eggs. I told him to leave them alone, not knowing whether she would come back to them or not..Fast foward to the other day, he said they were still there so I joined him at work because I was curiouse to see what mallard eggs looked like since we have 3(not wild though) He ended up cracking one open gently and sure enough there was a baby duck in there. REALLY tiny but all formed and not alive. So anyway my question is what made these 5 not hatch? We didnt open anymore because that one just broke my heart!!

I wonder what caused them to not make it but be that far along in the developing stage. Also the other eggs are still there and this is a nest they seem to use year after year, should the eggs be removed and discarded?

Thanks for reading that long post...lol!!!

2. RavenStorm

RavenStorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    There are all sorts of reasons why an incubated egg (both natural and human-helped) can develop and then just suddenly die.

-Genetic defect that causes spontaneous death to weed out the weak of a spieces

-That egg/those eggs may not have been turned correctly, kept at the right humidity, got too cool for too long etc.

-Momma wasn't in the best of health when she laid those particular eggs or didn't have the best nutrition

There are really 101 reasons why a developing egg might stop. Don't fret about it, it's just nature's way.

ETA: Oh and don't worry about discarding the eggs, some other creature will do that for you and momma duck. Circle of life my friend!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  3. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Good Post!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by