Question about winter and pools

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by allanimals21, Jan 14, 2010.

1. allanimals21

allanimals21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    So its gonna be like 32 this weekend. My question is would it be ok for me to fill the kiddie pool up for my muscovies for the day? I've noticed they are getting kinda dirty and scruffy. Its supposed to be 32 saturday and then like 18 saturday night. They don't have a heated building that they go in but a dry lean to like area. I just don't want them to freeze but I think it would be good for them to have a bath. They try to hard to do it in the heated bowl but it just don't work as well. lol

2. rlhbond

rlhbond Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Mocksville, NC
    Mine have been swimming daily and have been fine. Because of their natural oils, they don't stay wet long.

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Let them play in the pool [​IMG]

Ducks are well insulated and wont care if there is a blizzard as long as there is open water.

4. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

I keep pools going all winter using small stock tank heaters (keeps the water from freezing, not actually warm).
    The ducks swim no matter how gold it gets.... and we are talking below zero temps. [​IMG]

5. allanimals21

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    ok...thats what I kinda figured...I just worry way too much sometimes. lol

6. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Your Scovies should be fine this weekend. I've been making up 2gl bowls of water most everyday. On colder days be careful if you warm their water up that you don't get the water too warm. I made the mistake of getting the water nice and warm when it was only 18 degrees. The Scovies tended to stay in the water too long then and their feathers really froze when they got out. I also noticed if it's really cold, (below 25 or so) & they stay in the water too long, though their feet don't show any sign of frostbite, I do believe some nerve or tissue damage may be done. I caught a few of my birds staring at their feet and legs and "biting" at them. I think they were feeling numbness or tingling sensations so were nipping at their own legs. [​IMG] Soooo, today I got their water straight fm the cold tap and they were in it for only a few minutes even though it was a nice warm 37 degrees today.

7. allanimals21

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    Quote:Thanks for the tip. I have a pekin that always seems to be trying to bite her feet but can't reach them. I posted about it once on here but didn't really get an explanation as to why she would do that. any ideas? She does it in the summer too.

8. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Huh, that is strange. I don't have a clue. It will be interesting to see if those Scovies that started doing that, continue to. Does your Pekin only do that after a bath? I'll keep a close eye on the two who seem to do it the most & see if I can come up with something.

9. allanimals21

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    No she does it all the time randomly...she will be waddling along and then all of the sudden be chomping towards her feet?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by