question about winters

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickeneer45, Sep 30, 2012.

1. chickeneer45

chickeneer45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2012
    i just got two new chickens and i live in virginia. our winters hardly ever get below freezing but sometimes it gets really cold a lot. it really just varies randomly. the man i bought my chickens from said that the leghorns will lay throughout the winter if i wrap the coop up. what does he mean by this? is it necessary? will they die otherwise? any suggestions about winter preparations for a coop would be greatly appreciated... thanks again
    -chickeneer45

2. marianne7

marianne7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2012
    As long as you have somewhere for your chucks to go if its severe weather to shelter, and they are protected from rough winds and extreme weather, chickens can be really resilient little creatures, They do need somewher covered over for them from snow and rain...other than this thats all they need.....I know a lot of folk heat their nests in winter, but usually they huddle together in winter and keep warm that way....guess it depends on how exreme the weather gets.

3. chickeneer45

chickeneer45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2012
    thanks for your advice
    i would also really like to know what he meant by wrap the coop up...

4. Sharon2012

Sharon2012 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2012
    Southeast Tennessee
    A lot of people get a clear plastic and wrap it around the outer wire of the coop/pen to knock the worst of the wind and weather off the flock. Just leave some space at the top for cross ventilation.

5. marianne7

marianne7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2012
    He probably meant put some sort of screen round it to protect from biting winds, we have put 'see through' plastic sheets around half of our coop, where the wind comes around the most....as a sort of protection, it really works

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by