Question about worming follow up

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MichPDX, Dec 17, 2012.

1. MichPDX

MichPDX New Egg

Dec 17, 2012
    I've de-wormed my chickens for the first time starting 5 weeks ago with Pig Swig and 2 weeks ago with Valbazen. I'm cleaning out their chicken coop weekly and I'm still seeing broken up worm bodies in their poop (who knew I would spend so much time examining chicken ka-ka!) The hens are definitely healthier than they have been in a while but I'm wondering if I need to give them more of either of those again in the next couple of weeks. Should it really take this many weeks to purge all the worms?

2. Mehjr10

Mehjr10 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN
    Valbezan follow up is 10 days to break the cycle, after original dosage.

3. MichPDX

MichPDX New Egg

Dec 17, 2012
    I guess I was hoping that as I
    had already hit the worms hard with Pig Swig (Piperazine), I wouldn't have to repeat the Valbazen again. We want to eat some of our eggs again!

Thanks

4. Mehjr10

Mehjr10 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN
    The key is to hit it at 10 days to kill the newly hatched worms that the first dose did not kill.

5. Zanna

Zanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2010
    Jefferson, Oregon
    Are you sure you are seeing broken up worm bodies? A lot of my chickens are molting and I am seeing what I thought at first was worms on the poop boards but upon closer inspection it is parts of the quill that have shed off as the feathers shed (I may not be using the correct terminology, I hope you know what I am describing!). I had my horse vet do fecal samples a month ago and the worm count was so low that he did not feel I should give a chemical wormer. Roundworms I believe are usually expelled in the feces whole.............

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    That or they are digested.

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    When you see roundworms expelled in feces, it means the digestive tract is infested and there's no more room for them to go except out the rear end. One roundworm can lay thousands of eggs in one day onto your soil only to be picked up by another one of your chickens to start the worms lifecycle all over again. One worm is one worm too many.
    [​IMG]

8. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

X2! As that picture shows, it's far, far better to stay on top of it and keep worms under control than to wait around until worm/egg counts are high and the birds are infested with a heavy load.

9. MichPDX

MichPDX New Egg

Dec 17, 2012
    I'm going to do some research on the molting/broken up quills thing because I'm seeing lots of small shiny white flakes that I assumed were broken up worm bodies. A number of weeks ago, right after the initial Pig Swig treatment, I saw a couple of bigger long worms purged, they were long, white, shiny and flattened out, so I assumed the small flakes were just more of the same only broken up.

In the meantime, will probably go ahead with another round of Valbazen....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by