1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about worming & parasites

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LittleHouseOnThePrairie, Oct 27, 2010.

1. LittleHouseOnThePrairie

LittleHouseOnThePrairie Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2010
    Central Iowa
    My ladies seem to be doing just fine, but I am reading things here and there about how I need to worm them periodically and treat them for lice and other external parasites. How often do I worm them? I found wormer at the local feed store, but the bottle doesn't say how often to treat them. And they didn't have anything to treat for external parasites. I don't even know if they have any![​IMG]

I have 12 babies that are about 3 months old and then two more mature hens that are laying. I have had the mature hens for almost a year and feel terrible that I haven't wormed them or treated them out of ignorance! [​IMG] And I do love them so!

Any advice? Especially with winter coming on I want to make sure they go into the cold season as healthy as possible. Thanks!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:If your chickens are eating, drinking and acting like a chicken should...scratching around, pecking etc, I wouldnt worry about worming. Check their poop often, you'll be able to see worms in it. If a chicken is acting lethargic, not eating, not drinking and slacked off laying...then there's a good possibility she might have worms. You have to pick your chickens up and visually inspect them for lice/mites... especially check around their vent area. What is the name of the wormer you bought at the feed store?

3. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    I happen to live in an extremely dry climate. So I take a fecal specimen to the vet once per year (or if there is ever anything suspicious) and only treat if I get a positive parasite ID back. I suppose if I lived in a more parasite-prone area I might de-worm my birds once per year, or more if it were really a damp, encouraging environment. I like fenbandazole, you get it as 10% liquid goat wormer at lots of feed stores or JeffersPet online (look in the livestock section of the website)...1 ml per liter of water for 5 days. Be sure to throw away the eggs from the time you start until 14 days after the last dose. When I have done it (inherited a few birds with worms) I did it in the winter when egglaying had slowed drastically anyway.

4. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    If you don't free range your flock, their risk of picking up worms is much less, especially if you keep them in a roofed run.

I just paid our vet $20 for a fecal check to learn our flock doesn't have worms so far. I hate the idea of giving them medicines they don't need.

5. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

First off, you have to determine if lice/mites are present. To do this, pick a couple birds off the roost tonight and check under their tail and around their vent with a good flashlight. If you see any minute little bugs scurrying for cover, you`ve got them.
    As for internl parasites, most folks don`t worry about them unless you see some symptoms (listless behavior, pale combs and wattles, worms in their droppings). Don`t start worrying just because you see posts concerning parasites. Just be vigilant.........Pop

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:A BYCer, I forget who but I think it might have been Speckledhen, mentioned some information regarding free range birds and parasites. Apparently free range birds are known to seek out plants with anti-parasitic properties to eat.
    Just a bit of FYI [​IMG]

7. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Quote:That works only if those plants happen to grow where the flock happens to be ranging...

8. LittleHouseOnThePrairie

LittleHouseOnThePrairie Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2010
    Central Iowa
    Thanks for the advice, everybody! So, I'm thinking I don't have to worry about worms right now. Although the ladies free range as much as possible (I have to be vigilant about the neighbors' dogs that sometimes get loose), they are perky and active with no signs of lethargy. I will, however, keep the Wazine on the shelf for future use just in case. And my hubby will be so excited about going out to the coop with me tonight to check chicken vents by flashlight! [​IMG] That's what I call a "date night!"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by