question about worming

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by vtsarahb, May 4, 2009.

1. vtsarahb

vtsarahb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Bradford, VT
    How old do your chickens need to be before they can be given a de-wormer? Is there an age limit? Thanks [​IMG]

2. Gilliagan

Gilliagan Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2009
    Mayerthorpe
    I have heard pumpkins de-worm chickens but haven't heard anything concrete on that. Perhaps somebody can share if it worked for them or not cause I am really curious.

3. Glenda L Heywood

Glenda L Heywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    pumpkin seed DOES NOT deworm chickens
    I have a friend who studied it in college thourghly and there was no worms killed in the study
    there is a herbal wormer from the UK England

Verm-X 500ml Liquid Chicken & Poultry herbal Wormer - Health and ... 500ml Verm-X Liquid for your Poultry 100% Herbal Tincture - The Solution for Repelling Internal Parasites in all Poultry and Fowl. Being 100% natural herbal .

BASICALLY i NEVER WORMED TILL FALL FOLLOWING HATCHING IN THE SPRING

mY ADULTS WERE WORMED EARLY FALL JULY OR AUG AND THEN IN jAN-fEB AS THEY WOULD BE LAYING HATCHING EGGS IN 6 WEEKS IN THE SPRING
    THIS IS A VERY GOOD PLAN

BUT IF YOU SEE WORMS IN CHICKS THEN FIND A MILD CHREMICAL WORMER AND THEY SHOULD BE SEVERAL MONTHS OLD

sorry about caps I didn't see caps was on..

4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Cayenne Pepper;

It`s a natural wormer. Mix it heavily with your feed to turn it red. Pepper in the front, worms run out the back. Chickens don`t have the heat resceptors like most critters, so they eat it up. Worms, on the other hand, heh, heh. You can still eat the eggs. Repeat in 10 days to get the new worms, then about every six months for mainainance. And don`t forget the second dose.
    They probably won`t need the first worming for close to a year, if that......Pop

5. Gilliagan

Gilliagan Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2009
    Mayerthorpe
    Well thank you both for that tibit. I was always curious about the pumpkin and now I know. Liking this site already.

6. vtsarahb

vtsarahb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Bradford, VT
    I am worried because I gave my 3-week-olds an earthworm to eat- now I know that earthworms can carry parasites.

If my chicks DO get worms, is 3 weeks too early to give them a wormer like wazine/verm-x/ivermectin? Or would the cayenne pepper be a better choice for chicks that young?

7. marandam5

marandam5 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2009
    Tn
    I have the same question.What age can you worm chickens?Does pepper really work?My 10wk old Buff Orps seem thin,when I pick them up all I feel is their breast bone.They freerange and have 24/7 access to grower.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by