Question About Worms

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by azhenhouse, Jan 12, 2011.

1. azhenhouse

azhenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
    If my hens have worms, how contagious are they for my dogs, parrots, and family? I have my RR in the house now and I really don't want worms to become a problem for the rest of my animals and family. She is down in the mud room away from the birds and family. However, the dog dishes are in the same room has her. I wash my hands, always. I have certain jackets that I wear to the coop and the coop only. I also have certain shoes I wear to the coop. But they sit at the back door, in the house, when I take them off. The dogs have eaten chicken poop in the past when I let the chickens out in the yard. There dogs. I worry more about my Amazon's than anything else. How concerned should I be?

How do I get my hens to eat yogurt? I have tried giving it to them plain and on pellets. They don't like it.

Thanks.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Worms are contagious to anyone eating her feces. So hopefully that means just the dogs. The only thing I would be concerned about is the indoor birds and chickens. They can share diseases, but worms are not going to pass through the air, so I wouldn't really worry about that. I would more worry about external parasites and diseases, and it sounds like you are being cautious about your hygiene when caring for them, so I think you have it covered. I'd continue to use good hygiene and be vigilant about not wearing coop clothes/shoes into the house.

As far as yogurt goes- birds are lactose intolerant, so it is unsurprising that your birds don't like yogurt. Birds can tolerate yogurt because of the live cultures in it, but it isn't really all that good for them except as a probiotic and a quick protein source. Do not panic if your birds won't eat it. If you need a source of probiotics try some organic apple cider vinegar in their water. If you need a protein source then resort to BOSS, cat food or bits of meat.

3. azhenhouse

azhenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
    Thanks, I feel better now. Oh, and it is only the dogs eating the poop. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  4. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    Dog are unlikely get much from the chickens other than an upset stomach if they eat a bunch of chicken poop. They won't get any of the poultry worms, mites, lice, or coccidia. Those are species specific. Stick tight fleas will be happy to bite the mammals and birds. Birds can carry a couple of bacterial pathogens that can make mammals sick- but not usually a problem in back yard flocks. Salmonella is the one many people have heard about. The pet parrots are close enough species that the chickens and them can share things- scaly leg mite, some of the lice, some of the bacterial & viral diseases. Probably some of the protozoals too. Normal hand washing and taking off of shoes when you go inside cuts down on most of the worries.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by