Question about Wyandottes

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KittyKelly, Jun 10, 2009.

1. KittyKelly

KittyKelly Songster

May 6, 2009
    Central KY
    I heard that silver laced wyandottes molt and then get their "lacing" Is this true? If it is true, when will this happen??

2. joedie

joedie Songster

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    Yes, you don't see the pattern until they lose the baby feathers. I can't remember exactly but I think around 7-8 weeks.[​IMG]

3. RocketChick

RocketChick In the Brooder

Apr 23, 2009
    Hi!
    I'm not exactly sure of the answer to your question but I have a silver laced wyandotte chick that turned 7 weeks today and she already has the silver lacing pattern on her head and her breast and part of her back, she's had it for about a week or two.

She has shed most of her baby feathers so I guess this is true.

4. Gonzo

Gonzo Songster

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    :idunnoOur silver laced dottes are 3 weeks old and still look the same as they did from day one.... They are a little bigger, but not much. Are they slow growers also?

5. GAchick

GAchick Songster

Apr 29, 2009
    Pembroke GA
    gonzo&hispeeps :

:idunnoOur silver laced dottes are 3 weeks old and still look the same as they did from day one.... They are a little bigger, but not much. Are they slow growers also?

My SLW's seem to be growing slower than the EE's, BR's, and RIR's I have.​

6. tomato lady

tomato lady Songster

May 18, 2009
    Eatonville, WA
    I have 4 SLW about 2 weeks old. They are still very small and not growing as fast as my EE chicks did. Today I opened up their brooder so they could try running with the older chicks. My older chicks (about 7 weeks) ignored them at first. Then, one took an agressive stance toward a baby Wyandotte. Immediately several of the other older chicks came over and it looked like gang warfare was abouat to break out. I put the SWD chicks back in their brooder to grow a little bigger.

I will be waiting for them to loose their chick feathers. Thanks for the info.

7. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    SLW grow slower then most chicks. i do not have any Wyandottes but am thinking about getting some NEXT year . mom told me "no more chicks this year"

8. RAWR

RAWR Songster

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    yup :] but idk when the molt.. :\\

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:How old are yours?

10. MissouriChick

MissouriChick In the Brooder

May 11, 2009
    Jefferson City, MO
    Interesting...
    we have a couple of, what I believe, are Golden Laced Wyandottes. I noticed just the other day that one of them seems to have new grayish tipped feathers coming around the bottom of its body, which are very different than its "golden" tips. It is 6 weeks old as of yesterday. Maybe its just a weird mix of breeds? I don't know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: