Question about Wyandottes

KittyKelly

Songster
10 Years
May 6, 2009
Central KY
I heard that silver laced wyandottes molt and then get their "lacing" Is this true? If it is true, when will this happen??

joedie

Songster
10 Years
Mar 17, 2009
SW Indiana
Yes, you don't see the pattern until they lose the baby feathers. I can't remember exactly but I think around 7-8 weeks.

RocketChick

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 23, 2009
Hi!
I'm not exactly sure of the answer to your question but I have a silver laced wyandotte chick that turned 7 weeks today and she already has the silver lacing pattern on her head and her breast and part of her back, she's had it for about a week or two.

She has shed most of her baby feathers so I guess this is true.

Gonzo

Songster
10 Years
May 25, 2009
Southwestern, In
:idunnoOur silver laced dottes are 3 weeks old and still look the same as they did from day one.... They are a little bigger, but not much. Are they slow growers also?

GAchick

Songster
10 Years
Apr 29, 2009
Pembroke GA
gonzo&hispeeps :

:idunnoOur silver laced dottes are 3 weeks old and still look the same as they did from day one.... They are a little bigger, but not much. Are they slow growers also?

My SLW's seem to be growing slower than the EE's, BR's, and RIR's I have.​

tomato lady

Songster
10 Years
May 18, 2009
Eatonville, WA
I have 4 SLW about 2 weeks old. They are still very small and not growing as fast as my EE chicks did. Today I opened up their brooder so they could try running with the older chicks. My older chicks (about 7 weeks) ignored them at first. Then, one took an agressive stance toward a baby Wyandotte. Immediately several of the other older chicks came over and it looked like gang warfare was abouat to break out. I put the SWD chicks back in their brooder to grow a little bigger.

I will be waiting for them to loose their chick feathers. Thanks for the info.

call ducks

silver appleyard addict
10 Years
Mar 4, 2009
waterville , canada
SLW grow slower then most chicks. i do not have any Wyandottes but am thinking about getting some NEXT year . mom told me "no more chicks this year"

MissouriChick

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 11, 2009
Jefferson City, MO
Interesting...
we have a couple of, what I believe, are Golden Laced Wyandottes. I noticed just the other day that one of them seems to have new grayish tipped feathers coming around the bottom of its body, which are very different than its "golden" tips. It is 6 weeks old as of yesterday. Maybe its just a weird mix of breeds? I don't know.

Top Bottom