Question about yogurt

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by stone_family3, Oct 10, 2011.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    So I fed my girls some yogurt, they won't take it out of my hand or from a spoon so I just set the cup down and closed the coop. I let it sit there for about two hours before I tossed it.

Could I just let it sit? Will spoiled yogurt hurt them?

They honestly seemed cheesed off that I took the cup away the banties chased after me.

2. yellowirenut

yellowirenut Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    New haven, IN
    I put bowl out for them in the morning...they pecked at it then wiped there beaks on the ground like YUCK. When i came home from work it was gone.
    leave it out there for the day, it will not spoil in that amount of time. If they have not eaten it by the evening then i would say they do not like it.

3. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    oh my gosh I cant leave it out.. well it would never make it that long.. mine devour it in mins.. n but Im with the above poster I wouldn't thing in that short of a span it would hurt.

4. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Oh they ate half the cup in the two hours, just didn't know if it spoiled if they could eat it. I only have 2 banties and 5 full sized hens. Looks like I'll pick up a cup next trip to the grocery.

5. Dead Rabbit

Dead Rabbit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Virginia
    2 hrs wont hurt them. chickens will eat some might nasty things and live to see the next sunrise. i wouldnt worry about them too much.

6. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    They will love it soon enough and you will have no problems giving them yogurt. Ours took a few servings to get the taste for it. Then it was hard to get the bowl down fast enough without losing fingers first.

7. Rosaleen

Rosaleen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Danville, Vermont
    My girls love yogurt mixed in with oatmeal....almost disappears instantly.

8. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    The girls were very shy about plain yogurt about 5 minutes and boy it is a healthy treat too. My girls eat spoiled cheese and milk the stinkier. Have you tried a cured milk they love it. Keefer gags me and is a health thing well I can not choke it down and the girls devour it. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  9. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    Quote:Ours do too. When they were younger I would mix a little of their mash in there and they ate like they were starved. Really cute when they wipe off their beak in the dirt. Almost want to give them a napkin...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by