Question About Young Female Pekin Duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by pirtykitty, Sep 26, 2010.

1. pirtykitty

pirtykitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    The female pekin duck we rescued from local park the end of July did what I think was the flat duck yesterday afternoon.. I had filled up the bath tub and put her in it so she could have a nice swim to herself.. Stanley and Daisy heard the commossion of her splashing and came to investegate.. When Judy saw stanley coming she stretched herself out, dropped her legs , stretched out her neck and started making this wining shound in her throat.. stanley came up the ramp and jumped in and attempted to mate with her.. chassed her a little also.. While he was mounting she sunk below the water several times but came up every so often for air..

Daisy was having a fit to try and get to Judy.. Don't think they are friends yet.. Both Daisy and Stanley are still chasing her around but not as bad.. if they see a bug they go for the bug..
    Question is How long before Judy starts laying???? She is still a tad smaller than my 16 month old Welsh harlequins.. Am hopping they make friends before cold weather so Judy can go in big night pen with them

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    The " flat duck"... I love that...I have a little girl that gets so flat - if the grass gets a bit long she can completely disappear from view.

Its hard to say exactly when your duck may lay- it depends on a few things- such as age and day light hours. She may take til next spring before she starts- but may surprise you before then.

3. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    It's awfully hard to say without knowing her age, and even then it's pretty iffy--the line she came from, her health & diet prior to your adoption, SO many factor can affect it. My best guess is that she may wait till Spring--days are getting shorter now and except in extremely heavy-laying strains, that usually means the laying tapers off or waits until spring.

But, as has already been said, she may surprise you. [​IMG]

4. pirtykitty

pirtykitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Thank you.. She has grown a little since getting her from the park.. Stanley and Daisy are still bigger.. She is starting to talk to the and make herself look bigger when they come towards her.. But they still chase her some.. She ate meal worms in my lap on Sat..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by