question actually opinion on my chicken plan

gary b

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 24, 2014
i keep reading on people getting a couple of chickens then adding later my plan is this im building a coop that has room for 75 full grown birds at the recommended 4 ft space for each bird im splitting the coop seperate broilers from my layers im getting 23 layers and 2 roos to house with them then im getting 25 broilers to house together each will have seperate yards to range in im getting red broilers instead of the cornish cross due to the leg problem and ranging problem the reds take 12-15 weeks to butcher time then ill order new chicks vacinated of course and restart the cycle the layers im in the air about might keep 2 years might keep 3 cull as needed but regardless when they up butcher the rest then order new chicks

you might find ordering more chicks can get a bit more expensive than you want it to. how about letting a few hens go broody or get a decent incubator since you will already have roosters

I agree raising your own boilers would make sense. Nothing wrong with Cornish cross for meat. People are having good luck restricting their feed at night and letting them range during the day. Much better carcass and feed conversion than red broilers. You could buy rock hens and cornish roosters.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom