Question and thoughts about heat lamps

tweetysvoice

Songster
8 Years
Dec 30, 2011
Lawrence, KS
My Coop
My Coop
I have my brooder set up and ready for the chicks to arrive (first time chicky mommy) and have been reading a lot about the heat lamps. I read that some people prefer red lamps, but the light have set up is a 150 watt white light. I've got it measuring 93-94 degrees pretty consistent in the "hot side" so I'm sure that will be fine. My question is, because i know they will need the heat both day and night, will the bright light prohibit them from sleeping at night? I couldn't find the answer to this. Thanks all!

Lots of folks use white light. I don't know about better, but they will certainly sleep with either. Probably what you will find is, the first night you turn it off, they will do a lot of chirping. But they will get used to the dark.

Thanks! I kinda assumed so since I didn't see any "My chicks aren't sleeping" posts.
lau.gif

What's really scary is the first time you go in there and they're ALL sleeping at once...lol...It made me a little worried the first time
tongue.png

i'm supposed to get my babies tomorrow. i seem to be behind the curve. am i supposed to create some kind of 'night' effect? i was going to leave the light on around the clock to maintain the temp.

I used a red bulb in the beginning and then switched to a ceramic bulb (it only emits heat, no light) and it worked great to keep down on them waking at night and keeping me up (I brooded in my master bathroom).

Back
Top Bottom