QUESTION: Are geese sexually aggressive as ducks?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by chimbica88, Mar 21, 2011.

1. chimbica88

chimbica88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    thinking of getting 6 geese from Metzer farms, was wondering if they are anything similar to ducks, i have 15 11 month old ducks, of all types...at first we didnt notice, until npow, we have females (6) with the two nice males in one coop, and the rest of the 'Bachelors' in another coop, we just could stand see all my sweet girls being aggressively 'raped'...so every morning, we let them out from 9-3 then the boys 3-8, we rotate ever day, it works..LOL... now i want geese, but not if im gonna have to do this whole thing again!

how are their temperament with each-other? they pair off? THANKS IN ADVANCED!

2. 2dancingrats

2dancingrats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    Bay City, Michigan
    Hahahahah. I don't think ANYTHING is as sexually aggressive as a duck. At least not an Indian Runner duck.

3. ktarulli

ktarulli New Egg

Mar 28, 2011
    I have brown chinese geese (1 male and 7 females). The female tells the male when she is ready to be mated. You will think the male is drowning her, but she determines how long the mating will last. I have experienced the same duck issue you have, and it can be a little much. I think you will be happier with the geese.

4. adrian

adrian Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Regina, SK
    Oh, in my experience, the goose runs the show. The gander follows her around like a little lost puppy, and she tells him when it's acceptable to mate, as it was stated above. Geese also form pair bonds: if you buy them in pairs, they will happily stick together, though some can be encouraged to mate in trios regardless of the fact that geese naturally mate for life. Because of this, they don't scramble to mate with as many females as possible in the manner that ducks do. Geese have family bonds that ducks do not have. Generally they are so loyal to their mates and babies they will attack anything that comes close enough to them. So, it's good and bad, but the answer is that no, geese are generally not sexually aggressive at all. On occasion you might get an odd, aggressive gander, but it'll likely be because he's alone.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by