Question: Are my chicks dead?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by runwildly, Mar 21, 2009.

1. runwildly

runwildly New Egg

Jan 19, 2009
    Chattanooga, Tenn.
    Last night, first night in the incubator, temperature was 105 for 4-6 hours. I think the wisest thing to do is scrap these eggs and start over. Does anyone know differently? I'm new at this, but those eggs were really hot. It seems like curtains to me.

2. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Unless these eggs are very important to you, yeah, I agree. If they are something you can replace easily I wouldn't waste the time on eggs that are probably cooked. sorry.

3. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    What day are you on, If you are far enough that you can see the babies moving when you candle, then candel a few and see if you get any movement. I'm optimistic, I say give 'em a chance, they may surprise you! [​IMG]

4. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Quote:Since they said it was day 1, seems like a waste of time. [​IMG]

5. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    I would candle to see if anyone made it I had it happen to the ducks in the bator candled and all are alive

6. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.

Oh, didn't see that part... Just woke up, LOL. In that case you haven't really lost much time, I'd say if they are nothin special eggs, then start over, if they are special eggs, give them 7-10 days and see if they develope.

7. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!

Oh, didn't see that part... Just woke up, LOL. In that case you haven't really lost much time, I'd say if they are nothin special eggs, then start over, if they are special eggs, give them 7-10 days and see if they develope.

Seems I need to go back to reading 101 also
    I agree with the above

8. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    LOL....it is Saturday morning. [​IMG] If I hadn't already sucked down enough coffee to kill a horse I wouldn't have caught that either. [​IMG]

9. runwildly

runwildly New Egg

Jan 19, 2009
    Chattanooga, Tenn.
    LOL early morning banter. :)) Thank you all so much! The eggs weren't special, they can easily be replaced (I ordered from a hatchery). But they were expensive. Sigh. Hating being a beginner. Bank account hating it too.

10. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Well, since you ordered them, I would give them time to incubate and see what happens. Unless you just really are opposed to wasting that time? You should be able to see enough to make a decision by day 4 unless they are really dark eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by