Question...Baby Trying to Hatch Right Now

clothdiaperingmom

Songster
9 Years
Feb 7, 2010
Sweetwater, TX
I put 3 eggs in lockdown. 1 noticed 1 pip in afternoon yesterday, then another pip (awesome as it was in an egg with an indentation/cracks). Both eggs are pipped on the wrong end. These eggs are jumbo eggs, RIR/Red sex link mix. 3rd egg not pipped at all.

Anway, the cracked egg started zipping lastnight, hatched earlier today. The other had made just a tiny bit of progress and had an air hole through the membrane.
This one is still in egg not zipping. I noticed it had made a large crack near the pip. I hadnt heard any chirping from this egg. I opened the membrane a smidge to see if it was still moving. It was.

It has been over 24 hrs and still no more progress. I thought I might help it a tad since its trying to hatch from the wrong end. I pulled a little shell, then a little membrane. The membrane started to bleed so I left it alone and put it back.

Is there anything I can do to help? What are the chances this one is going to be able to hatch and how long is too long trying to hatch?? Any ideas, suggestions????? Thanks!!!

they take some pretty long rests, easily a day, read some of the other posts about it to distract you from worrying about them!
hugs.gif

Thank you.

It is hard to relax. Its so close!!! Wish I could just take all the shell and membrane off for it!!!
My 1st pip last hatch died after the 2nd pipper hatched.
sad.png
So more anxious this time.....dont want a replay!! And dont want to not do something if there is something I could do to help without harming the chick.

Like I said, read more from people more skilled with hatching than I am. I am just repeating what I've read here and heard from a friend who regularly hatches in her incubator. I know that she religiously avoids tugging at things, says it causes much more trouble then letting nature take it's course, and she tries to barely look at things, leaves if she can! I let broodies do my work for me!

I've had to 'help' several chicks out while hatching. Generally you shouldn't help if their voices are still strong and it seems like they are still working their way through the shell. Yours have pipped on the wrong side, which is pretty much ok as long as they can breathe. It sounds like yours is just being a slowpoke, especially since you say it's started a zip line but is not finished. You can give it another 24 hours and still be ok.

If you DO decide to help, keep in mind that you are NOT hatching the chick. All you want to do when helping (usually) is to create a zip line in the egg so that the chick has an easier time of pushing out on its own. In rare cases the chick has become so weak and may be dying (you'd hear a change in strength of cheeps) and at that point, the game changes and you can try to actually get the chick out yourself. But that's not USUALLY the case before 48 hours is up.

Just giving you a bump as I have my first ever hatch in lockdown now. Tomorrow is day 21, but I think my temp may have been a little low, so I don't expect anything until early next week. Have you hatched RIR / RSL chicks before? What do they look like? Are they good layers? Mine are ISA Brown Hybrid hen x RSL rooster, so I'm interested to see what happens!

Quote:
This is my 1st time hatching this kind. They are reddish blonde (almost the color of my gold sex links which are from RIR roo/RIWhite hen). These came from the hugest, most jumbo brown eggs I have ever seen. Bought them from a guy on ebay, and have since bought 2 more sets!! I want some egg layers that lay these ginormous eggs!!!!
RIRs in general are good layers and I believe they hybrids are as well.
Actually, I have a couple 4 month old gold sex links and 1 started laying 6/16 (a week before turning 4 months old). From reading online, they tend to start laying earlier then other breeds. However, my other 4 month old GSL isnt laying yet I dont believe.
I have some Production reds as well but as far as knowing how the others lay, I dont. None of the others have started laying yet! The prod reds are only 3 months and actually, going by the comb and tail feathers, I think 6 are boys (these were my neighbors, I ended up with them.) The only girl in there by my guess, is 1 I had.
I do plan on keeping at least 1 boy to put with my RIR girl and whatever RIR/RSL's hatch. Will put my RIR roo with some of the RIR/RSLs and my GSL's and see what we get!!
I also will put the RIR roo with my RIWhite hens for more Gold Sex Links. My GSL are really nice, friendly birds too!!!

Quote:
Thats the problem, this one hasnt chirped much at all the whole time and it hasnt really made any progress since lastnite. It hadnt started zipping, just had 1 larger crack coming from the pip.
And right, I was going to just try to creat a bit of a zip for it, but stopped since the membrane bled. I didnt want to leave membrane exposed and it shrink wrap. Have had that happen even though my humidity is up.
Thanks

What I have read about "helping" is that you can try chipping the shell but leave the chick to try to break through the membrane. Look at the stickies at that top of this forum about helping vs not helping. They give a pretty good description about it. I have only helped one and I tried to help it by enlarging its membrane hole a bit and all I got was a little blood and a dead chick the next morning. Maybe, try working on the shell without helping it through the membrane. If it has a hole in the membrane already, it should be able to breath.

Good luck. Please post results as I will be tuned in to your results.

Well, over the course of a few hrs and different phases of shell removal, giving the chick a chance to rest and progress on its own, it did not. So I guess I ended up hatching it. I had removed the top part of the egg and it still couldnt get out of the bottom part. I heard it in there chirping frantically, thats why I decided to finish the hatch. (It quieted down after).
I went to bed awhile after and it hadnt moved since getting out of the egg. But by the time I got up today, it was up and stumbling around. (I have noticed that chicks that needed help tend to take longer to get up and moving, and moving normally).
The poor chick had the hugest belly Ive seen...maybe it was stuck in the egg by its belly! Ive never had a chick look like that. Anyone know what its from?
Its feet are larger then the other chicks.

Anyway, here are a couple pics.

Just out (there was a little blood by its cord spot. yikes! But the membrane didnt bleed anymore after waiting a few hrs from 1st time trying to open pip more)
035.jpg

Fluffing up with its sibling. (its the one in front)
036.jpg

It falls over sometimes and cant get up. I had a ss hatchling (no help hatching) that did that the 1st wk of its life but is fine now. So Ive still got
fl.gif
this 1 will be ok!

They are both still in the bator giving the 1 a chance to get its land legs before I put them in with my ideal poultry chicks that came the 1st.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom