1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

QUESTION:BACK YARD TOO SMALL??? HELP

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Nicola, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Nicola

Nicola Chook Cuddlin' Aussie

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    how high is the playhouse coop cause i was thinking in making something like it and any tips on how to build it would be apreciated
    i only have a verry small backyard thats about 10m long and 4 m wide is that to small to have chickens in there . also in the backyard is a gazebo in the middle of the backyard and no one is home during the day to let them free range supervised cause of cats so there would only be a couple hours a day they are free ranging?? is this a sutible habitat for a chicken?? here are some piccys of my backyard
    and what materials do you need
    and please let me know if you think the back yard is too small. cause most of it is taken up by a gazebo

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The photos were taken at my back door if the coop and run was made next to the fence near where the plants in pots are would that be too close to the house. there are cats and mini type looking hawks around and i am getting 3 chickens so thery will be in the run for about 6 hours a day and freeranging after school for about 3 or 4 depending on wheather and how dark it is.

this is the kind of coop i want to make
    [​IMG] its about 1.2m wide and 2.4 m long dont know how high though? also do you need to wash chickens when they need it i know they have dirt baths

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  2. birdbrain2

birdbrain2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2008
    belleville, IL.
    i have no idea about playhouse coop.

your yard is more than big enough. now how many you get depends on how much space you are willing to sacrifice. you need 4 sq. ft. per standard bird and i think at least 10 sq. ft. per bird for the run. if you are predator free you need only a coop and could free range. i would get heavy breads to keep them from going over fence.

remember some chickens spend their whole life in a cage so you definitely have enough room.

if it was my yard i would only get 2, 3 tops. but if you only have 2 and one dies then you have a lonely chicken and thats not good.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

edit** i just read the bottom part, cats usually are no match for a full grown chicken. you might want to find someone local who knows about the hawks and weather they are a problem.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] My chickens don't get to free range, because there are too many predators here. [​IMG] So I just build my cages as large as possible and feed them all the greens that I possibly can.

I just sent one neighbor's dog to the pound last week, after trying my best all winter to presuade her to keep the dog home. [​IMG] I really do feel bad about sending family pets to the pound, but what's a chicken-person to do when the dog will not leave the chickens alone ??? [​IMG]

[​IMG] As I sit here typing, my OTHER neighbor's dog is wandering around in my front yard. . . . . [​IMG]

[​IMG]

You have plenty of room for a trio of hens. Of course, you could turn your gazebo into a chicken palace, thus making room for 1 or 2 more hens !

4. Nicola

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    Quote:so you dont think my yard is too small?? and i cant really make a huge cage the only on i can just possibly fit the playhouse coop

5. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

No, I think you have room for a "few" hens. Chickens are very adaptable . . . . [​IMG]

6. birdbrain2

birdbrain2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2008
    belleville, IL.
    Quote:try making a strong tractor and secure it to the ground with something like tent stakes. or a temporary fence

7. Nicola

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    Quote:i havent seen the mini hawk myself but my mum was watching a little green finch and sunndenly swoop gone it took off with it

8. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    Just remember, if you free range in a small yard, you won't have any grass or greenery after a few weeks.

9. thedreamers

thedreamers Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2008
    Hastings, Florida
    The coop design can be anything you can fit and/or make to fit. It doesn't have to be one you get online/book. Ours are made to suit our needs and budget and aren't all that fancy but the chickens love it. Good luck we know you'll come up with something that works.[​IMG]

10. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    No yard is too small! A chicken in every yard!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by