Question bout Dewlap Breeding...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by KareyABohr, Jan 15, 2009.

1. KareyABohr

KareyABohr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2009
    SE Iowa
    My DH and I love the dewlap toulouse and were thinking of getting a couple pairs for our farm flock. BUT we heard from our local self-appointed chicken expert that these birds need water in order to breed. Is this true? And if it is would an extra large livestock tank that we made a koi pond out of work? It is about 3 feet deep and 3/4 burried into the ground.
    Any insight on these geese, behavior, how they pair off, breeding would be really appreciated!
    THANKS!

2. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    I too have been considering this breed. I think they are just plain cool looking. I talked to a breeder in the Midwest, and he gave me a lot of information. He said that they do need water to breed but that a tank of water, kiddy pool or something of that nature would work. I considered burying something like you are considering but dont have a great way to configure it so it will easily be drained. I will position mine so it will drain well and easily. I am not an expert by any stretch but have done quite a bit of research. I understand they take a while to breed as well.

He also told me he has some 40 year old geese still laying eggs. I took pause at that, as I am sure now that the geese may easily out live me.

Good luck

3. KareyABohr

KareyABohr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2009
    SE Iowa
    Thanks and 40 years GOSH! I never imagined that they lived that long. I guess I will have to remember to put them in the will! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by