question bout duck Behavior????

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by crazypoultrychx, Feb 17, 2014.

1. crazypoultrychx

crazypoultrychx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    New Orleans LA
    I have peking ducks....I did have 2 females and 1 male.....but the male was lost due to a predator.....and I am PRETTY sure they are both female since there are only 2 of them and they are both laying eggs.......so......is it NORMAL for one female duck to get on top of the other duck and "mate"....because I had 14 and we culled the others but this one female is having male behaviors......she holds the other duck down in the water and "mates" with her with the same charastics as a "typical" male would do.....am i missing something or is this a dominent behavior?

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Well, if they're both laying eggs than they must be girls :p But yes, that's normal. My ducks are pretty frisky themselves, and when the drake is tending to one female and another one also wants his attention, it's not abnormal for my other female to climb on her instead. They're not very discriminatory. I had a pair of males that mated each other back before I really got into poultry, and they were definitely males.

If you're really worried though and think it's possible that maybe only one of them is laying the eggs you're getting, just listen to them quack. Females are the ones with the loud quacks. Males sound raspy and like they have laryngitis.

3. cosbackyard

cosbackyard Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Totally normal. I have one drake and two females and the girls will still do that sometimes.

4. crazypoultrychx

crazypoultrychx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    New Orleans LA
    OK....just want to make sure I haven't lost my mind......(yet).....because I had a drake and the heavier female is portraying the same attributes as a drake....but I am DEFINITELY still getting 2 eggs a day.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by