1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question bout ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ChuckenChasers, Apr 10, 2017.

1. ChuckenChasers

ChuckenChasers Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2017
    South Carolina
    Hi..we bought a cpl of ducklings(along with 6 chicks) last week..all are doing fine but we set an egg carton in the tank for chicks to use as roost and the ducks were eating it(took it out)..will what little they nibbled on hurt them?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Plastic or paper carton and how much did they eat? Just a nibble probably not but if quite a bit I'd make sure they are eating and drinking good and most of all pooping and check their lil chest[crops]

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

The Duckling should be okay?.....If styrofoam ?.....It depends..Provide some grit....
    Being you have chicks also , I am only assuming that your using a chick waterer also for the Ducklings...;)....They need to dunk their heads to keep their nares clear and clean..:)....I would never Brood Chicks and Ducklings together..Ducklings cause wetness and Chicks cant not be wet or coccoid can thrive and kill the Chicks..:(

Cheers!

4. ChuckenChasers

ChuckenChasers Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2017
    South Carolina
    it was a paper carton and they were just nibbling on it, we didn't leave it in long enough for them to really tear it apart. We know that the ducks tend to make a mess of their water but we clean it out, it doesn't stay wet long and The chicks stay dry. We wasn't told anything about not being able to brood them together so we didn't plan on having to have two separate containers for them to stay in until the coop and yard are finished and they are able to be moved outside.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

You can brood them together..;).....It takes more more work..I never brood them together..I feed my Chicks medicated starter and Ducklings should not be on medicated feed...I feed my Ducklings Duck starter..Also my Ducklings thought the Chicks were toys and wanted to toss them around..lol...Still to this day my Ducks hate my Chickens....:)....
    If it's working for you, keep on doing it..:)

Best wishes...:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by