Question.....Can 6 week olds

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cetawin, May 1, 2008.

1. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    eat sweet PDZ?

I mixed some sweet PDZ in their shavings (powdered form) and they are eating it....

Is this okay? I know it is non-toxic and has DE in it and minerals...but I am a worrier.

Can they dust bathe in it safely?

Thanks all for the advice...

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Swt PDZ is a stall drying agent for horses and is not food grade. Ingesting it could cause illness to your chicks.

None of the information I have on it states the DE contained in it is food grade. There are many forms of DE and anything but food grade is toxic.

I wouldn't risk it with my own flock.

3. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Okie dokie...thanks MissPrissy.

I know it will keep the amonia down and they immediately went after it to eat and dust in. It says that it is not toxic to humans or animals even when handled near their food and water.

I will research this more and call the manufacturer to get more specifics before I put it back in there. Unless someone else uses it and can testify about it.

[​IMG]

EDIT: here is the info from the manufacturer...:

For use with Chickens:

Chickens have a lot of benefits, but they are by no means the neatest of barnyard animals. In fact their coops, hen houses and pens can get really stinky. Sweet PDZ is the answer to your smelly, dropping filled coops. Sprinkle Sweet PDZ liberally where the birds make their mess. Reapply regularly on the most frequently used roosting areas, and you’ll be well on your way to a healthy, safe and pleasant smelling chicken house. Sweet PDZ also makes it much easier to remove the droppings when cleaning out the chicken’s house. As an added benefit Granular Sweet PDZ can be safely eaten by the birds and used by them to grind their food. Clean smelling chickens = healthy chickens.

Is Sweet PDZ safe?

Yes, Sweet PDZ is all natural, non-toxic and non hazardous.

Will Sweet PDZ work for other animals besides horses?

Yes, Sweet PDZ ‘s use is not limited to horse stalls. In fact, it is used by breeders of a variety of animals including dogs, cats, swine, sheep, rabbits, chickens, and reptiles.

Here is the weblink for anyone interested...

http://www.sweetpdz.com/

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  4. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm sure it's fine, it's only DE and clay. It's like Stall Dry.

5. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I think the key here is that is it recommended for the areas where they poop the most. Chickens do not normally peck and pick through their poop.

It IS stall dry. However there is nothing anywhere that states it is food grade DE that is being used. The number of people in this world that think any DE is safe is astonishing. UNless it is pure food grade DE (Codex grade Fossil Shell Flour) used in it it is not edible and is toxic over a period of time if ingested. Most DE products on the market use a silca in the DE often as much as 80% which is lethal to chickens.

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I have use it and or Stall Dry all these years without any problems...They do peck under their roosts and lay in it..thats what helps keep the shavings stirred and dry....

7. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Quote:Mine peck at their poop and poop in their food. They don't poop in 1 spefic area.

8. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I have 33 hens in my coop. When inside they poop in one area more than others. I shovel it out weekly. A lot of poop. I have never seen them peck through it. In fact they avoid it.

9. JustChicky

JustChicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2008
    East Texas
    Why do you think it has DE in it?

Edit: Nevermind. Zeolite is made from diatomite.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2008
  10. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

Because it does. So does Stall Dry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by