QUESTION! CAN I BREED A MALE AND FEMALE THAT I GET IN THE SAME ORDER FROM ONLINE HATCHERY????!!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 6TheChickenKid6, Nov 27, 2012.

1. 6TheChickenKid6

6TheChickenKid6 Out Of The Brooder

I am ordering some chickens from "My Pet Chicken" and i want to breed black australorps. If i order a hen and rooster in the same order, will they be okay to breed? or will they have genetic problems????????
    thanks[​IMG]

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    they will be fine, dont worry about it

3. Lots A Cluckin

Lots A Cluckin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    Yes they will be fine.

4. janelle18

janelle18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    My Coop
    This is interesting, because I have never really thought about this. But there is potential that many of the hens and roos I have are brothers and sisters. What makes chickens different that other animals? Just curious

5. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Nothing. Breeding brother and sister doesn't guarantee a line of retards or animals with three heads. Chickens do have a lot more complexity to their genes than most mammals do though. In addition, Just because they are from the same hatchery order doesn't mean they are "brother and sister" by any means. It only means they were in the same group. Maybe. Or maybe not.

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Since the hatcheries have hundreds or perhaps thousands of hens in their parent stock, in the egg barn, then those eggs get collected, taken to the hatching room, loaded into trays for incubation, moved to hatching, then the trays are dumped out into sorting trays where workers pick up your order of 2 chicks or 4 chicks and put them into shipping boxes, ...... I'd say the odds are as long as hitting the lottery that they came from the same parent hen.

7. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    inbreeding depression is highly unlikely from a Brother to Sister mating, I am at the BC2(back cross to Parent 2, meaning, the chicks mother is also the chicks grand mother and great grand mother) and I have yet to experienced this effect

8. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    this right here

9. 6TheChickenKid6

Okay thanks everyone :)

10. 6TheChickenKid6

[​IMG]I didn't realize that the shipping would cost more than the chicks themselves -.- [​IMG] I guess im not ordering them... so is there a cheaper way of either ordering chicks or getting chicks?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by