Question Chicken experts

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by This_chicks_place, Jun 13, 2011.

1. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    [​IMG] I have a question for the chicken experts. This is my first time raising chickens and I'm not sure how to tell when the girls are ready to lay. If my rooster is attempting his duties does that predict who is ready to lay? And then how long until I should expect to see any eggs? They are approx. 14 weeks old. Thanks

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  2. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    when the girls start squatting for him when he tries that means you are getting close. It depends on breed at what age they will lay....my ameraucana don't lay till about 9 months [​IMG] , but my andalusian started laying between 4 and 5 months, production breeds lay younger...what breed are yours?

3. This_chicks_place

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I have Orpingtons and Copper Marans. He doesn't seem to bother the Marans yet just the Orps. So they will be calmer and basically submit when they are getting close?

4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Yes you are right on track! The hens will squat when approached by yourself or a roo, this means they are reproductively mature. You will also see their faces and wattles brighten up color considerably.

Usually I start watching my sex-link birds by week 16 pretty closely. Some breeds do take a lot longer (I don't expect my EE to lay until week 20, but she could surprise me). The ones you listed should be ready to lay around 18 weeks.

5. This_chicks_place

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Thank You so much for your answers. I guess I still have a bit of a wait.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by