1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

question concerning a found egg in my laying hens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by birdman55, Aug 15, 2014.

1. birdman55

birdman55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2014
    michigan
    My Coop
    i have about forty chickens and they are free range and have a 8x10 coop.....i went out yesterday and found an egg that is my brown layers and it had two large circles that were darker then the brown egg...they dont wipe off when being cleaned...the chickens are about a year old....the one is on the not so pointy end and is about a half inch round and the other is in the center of the outside of the shell and is about one inch long and half inch wide...any ideas

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Nothing to worry about....You're going to see those irregularities....You sometimes see some really STRANGE eggs....tiny eggs, shell-less eggs......

3. birdman55

birdman55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2014
    michigan
    My Coop
    ok thanks....never had a egg come out different other then large/small egg but nothing with this on the outer shell...do you think its time to retire the birds being one year old...i heard they start to drop off production after a year.

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I've heard that alot of people will only keep their chickens through their first good laying season. I would think, if you're in the egg business, it's your personal choice. I know the production gradually decreases over time. Some folks will take their whole flock to auction, and start fresh in the spring. I think if I was going to do that, I would keep my birds at least two years.

I just have a small flock of 14 hens right now. Too many more and it gets to be to much work, and less of a hobby. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by