Question concerning coop design, planning and layout

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by renart, Jan 25, 2011.

1. renart

renart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Kingston, WA
    If we plan to build our coop to house 8-10 layers, aside from the coop itself, do w need to have the fenced in run around the coop ? They will free range most of the daylight hours and can use the coop to sleep in correct ? Being we have 12 acres for them to be on, need we have the small enclosure around the coop area ? Most of the pics I see on the coop page have them. Just wondering.

2. ARose4Heaven

ARose4Heaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
    A run is not a must-have, but is highly recommended. The main purpose of the run is to allow your birds to be safely outdoors when you are not there to watch for predators.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    The thing is, the times when you will want to confine your chickens will tend to come upon you suddenly (like, suddenly there is a pack of loose dogs around trying to eat yer chickens) so it is a WHOLE lot easier to already have some sort of run built [​IMG] Also a lot of people find there are other times when it is handy (although not necessarily *vital*) to be able to confine the chickens in the run for a little while, without actually locking them into the henhouse and spoiling all their fun.

But, personal choice.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

4. renart

Mar 16, 2009
    Kingston, WA
    Thanks for the inputs! We are new to the chicken scene, and are taking in knowledge from those who have been there and are successful! [​IMG]

5. naturababe

naturababe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    I agree that you might find yourself in need of a run suddenly. Our chickens free ranged all summer and fall and then christmas morning a fox got my daughter's favorite chicken. I can tell you I was incredibly thankful to already have a run built.

6. renart

Mar 16, 2009
    Kingston, WA
    Will have to put some more thought into how to work the run then, doesn't seem that I could just build it upon the ground w/o a floor, since it gets so wet here. Mayhaps a 2-3" thick cement pad would work, but, an unexpected expense for sure.

7. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Here is how my coop and run originally looked. My coop is 4x8, and it has two levels, so there is more SF than just a plain flat coop. I have 14 hens in it, but I have a 10'x25' run attached that they always have access to. Smaller coop, but larger run. If planned this way you can have a smaller coop. With no free access run, your coop needs to be larger. I also allow access to the garden during the off season, which is 25'x35'.

[​IMG]

During the days when I'm there I let them free range all day, and the boys let them out when they get home from school. Days we are away, they still have the ability to roam around, but only in the run. Unsupervised free ranging will lead to more bird losses. Take that for what it is worth.

I have added onto this coop/run, adding addition space for quail and pheasants, and I covered it with metal roofing that I scrounged for free. I really need to take an updated pic.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  8. naturababe

naturababe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    could you grade the run so that it will drain and dig a drainage ditch? then maybe do gravel with sand over it?

9. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Elevate the coop by using pier blocks and build a proper floor. Less expense than concrete.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by