Question Concerning Leghorns.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Run Wild, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Run Wild

Run Wild Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2016
    Hello! I am looking to buy egg laying chickens, and after doing some research, have come to the decision that Leghorns are most productive hens. What I'm wondering is if White Leghorn and Brown Leghorn egg production are equal, because White Leghorn seem much easier to find. Also, I would like to add a few rare Leghorn to my flock; are Buff, Exchequer, Red, and Dark Brown Leghorns just as productive as the common Leghorn variations?

2. Run Wild

Sep 20, 2016
    Anyone???

3. gserrin

gserrin New Egg

Mar 6, 2017
    Columbia,Ms.
    I love my leghorn more eggs than I can eat so I hatch eat and sell

4. Run Wild

Sep 20, 2016
    Ok. What kind of Leghorns do you have?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  5. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

Production white Leghorns can not be beat in regards to egg production. However, because they are bred for only one year of production, they tend to have more issues (prolapse etc.) that pop up after that first egg laying season.

Rose comb White Leghorns lay almost as well as the production whites, but have fewer health issues and better longevity.

Brown Leghorns are very similar to the rose comb whites.

All of the other colors are not as prolific.

Some of the more experimental Leghorn colors lay eggs that are not quite white, and the eggs are often smaller.

1 person likes this.
  6. tinakevin

tinakevin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2015
    New hampahire
    I have a brown leghorn and I seem to get an egg almost every day. She is flighty but she is an awsome hen. She was my extra from ideal

7. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Probably you don't see as many brown leghorns as white because the brown leghorns require a double mating scheme for correct coloring. The white leghorns can be single mated. Double mating takes twice the room and effort as the breeder has to establish both pullet and cockerel breeding lines. Best Karen

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  8. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

That is why we now have dark brown and light brown Leghorns.

Originally there were only brown Leghorns... but the double mating resulted in the two breeds we have now, dark and light.

Hatcheries often have a poor quality light brown kind of mix, called a production brown or Danish Brown.

The current dark brown and light brown Leghorns don't need to be double mated.

black_dove2 and PorchChickens like this.
  9. Run Wild

Sep 20, 2016
    Love Ideal, all the chickens I ever owned were bought from them.

10. Run Wild

Sep 20, 2016
    Thanks guys! This is just what I needed to know :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by