Question - Electric netting?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cattleman999, Dec 18, 2010.

1. cattleman999

cattleman999 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2010
    I recently purchased the 48" electric netting from premier. I like my chickens to be on fresh grass, but I don't want them in the flower beds and messing up the sidewalks around the house. I live on 3 1/2 acres and want to be able to move them around to fresh pasture but they won't stay behind the netting. How do I discourage them from flying over the netting?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Electric netting can not be used as primary fencing for chickens. I use it as secondary fencing for my chickens. Mine have a completely covered hard wire fence as their primary fence with a perimeter of electric netting around that. I use electric netting as primary fencing with my waterfowl, but they are less agile and can't (or I should say aren't motivated enough to) fly over it. Chickens can easily clear 48", so they can hop right over it with ease. If the mesh has large enough openings they can also squeeze through it. They are protected from the shock by their feathers.

3. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    If you don't have too many, it's easy to trim wing feathers. Just do the wing on one side, trimming the primary (flight) feathers so they're roughly even with the other feathers of the wing. This unbalances them so they don't fly.

Heavier type chickens tend to stay behind 48" fences, it's mainly the light breeds that go over. [​IMG]

4. cattleman999

cattleman999 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2010
    My hens are mostly larger brown egg layers but they didn't seem to have much problem clearing the fence this morning. I have heard of trimming the flight feathers but have been hesitant to try that. Is it possible to mess that up? I really want to be able to manage where they spend their time. However, I don't want a fixed run as they get very messy. Thanks for the feedback.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by