Question - first incubator hatch

imagoddess

Hatching
7 Years
Jan 21, 2013
Baton Rouge, LA
As stated, this is my first time using the incubator. One chick hatched at midnight Sunday, one hatched at 5:30am Sunday, and another at 2:30am Monday (today). Realistically, how long should I wait for the stragglers? How long can the newbies be left in the incubator with all the 'yuck' ? Does it breed bacteria for the ones that are/aren't hatched yet?

I might add that these are our first eggs from our Rocks (Rachel, Riley, Roxanne, & Rosalie) & their Olive Egger rooster, Barney. We chose the incubator because we'd never tried it before, and because they've never set on their eggs. The incubator is fun but I'd certainly like to see them set on their own eggs. We've raised purchased chicks before (5 days old), but never hatched. If the eggs are fertile in the nest, how likely is it that one of the girls will set on them? No one seems to show much interest yet. Could it be because they are young (in their first year)?

Any input would be appreciated!

The baby chicks can stay in the incubator up to three days without food/water.
So if there are any unhatched eggs, do not open the incubator for at least two days.
After two days I usually take the babies out and then leave the unhatched eggs in a couple more days 'just in case.'

You will know when you have a broody hen cuz she will REFUSE to leave the nest and 'growl' at you if you approach her on the nest.
Most egg-laying breeds rarely go broody, but you never know.
I have some Black Australorps that I bought from Tractor Supply that go broody every year.
My Barred Rocks have never gone broody.
Fortunately, I have lots of Silkies, so I ALWAYS have broody hens waiting for eggs!
big_smile.png

Good luck with your first hatch!!

Congrats!! I agree when they are all fluffed up remove quickly...... When was day 21? If you feel you have stragglers after you have waited some you can candle and tap...... to look for an internal pip and listen for peeping.... Refer to this article on what the chicks are doing now and how to check viability and to float test
fl.gif

Guide to ASSISTED Hatching

Back
Top Bottom