1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

question, first time hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by blueggsandspam, Nov 29, 2011.

1. blueggsandspam

blueggsandspam Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2011
    Almost Heaven
    Question this is my first time hatching so I hope this does not sound stupid. Ehen I got home my daughter (9) says we have an egg that has a long crack and blood around it. So when I get to the incubators in the homemade is the egg she was talking about. Now there was no way she could've seen the zipping without opening the incubators. Anyways the egg she saw zipping is not making any movement now and I could not hear any sounds. How long should it take to complete the zipping? Does the fact I cannot hear or see anything mean it did not make it?

2. Griffin Nest

Griffin Nest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    where is the crack? what direction does it go? what day is it for the eggs? I'd like to help

3. blueggsandspam

Sep 15, 2011
    Almost Heaven
    Crack was around the egg it was a fully formed chick but hard to tell when it started to hatch. Tried to find answers but by the time I found that you don't always remain hands off it was too late [​IMG] . 21 more eggs to go [​IMG] My daughter will be sad in the morning. Thanks for answering

4. Griffin Nest

Griffin Nest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    aww, its okay [​IMG]

5. spotlikeschicks

spotlikeschicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2011
    AR
    just make sure the temp and humidity are somewhere near where they are supposed to be. Some eggs just don't make it even to the last days, good luck on the other 21, [​IMG]

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other posts and it could be resting.

7. blueggsandspam

Sep 15, 2011
    Almost Heaven
    So ya'll think it was just early? We set the eggs on the 9th. No other pipping or movement now from any of the remaining ones. Temps have been fairly steady in both incubators kept humidity 35-55% throughout now have increased to 75-85%. This science fair project maybe a flop. I hope it gets better today while we are gone.

8. Katoo1

Katoo1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2011
    Saint Augustine, FL
    Mine never moved until they started hatching. Chin up and sit on your hands. Don't give up. I was convinced mine were all dead.

9. blueggsandspam

Sep 15, 2011
    Almost Heaven
    Thanks sorry for being a PIA. Being the first time incubating is the worst feeling. I just want it to work for my daughter's benefit.

10. Katoo1

Katoo1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2011
    Saint Augustine, FL
    Quote:No worries about being a PIA. If you were totally blase about a first hatch, THAT would be worrying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by