Question for a mandarin aviary

Discussion in 'Ornamental Fowl (Swans, etc.)' started by SwedishDude99, Aug 26, 2013.

1. SwedishDude99

SwedishDude99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2013
    El Dorado County, Ca
    S I was wondering if a 2.8 x 9 x 6 (LxWxH) ft aviary would work for a pair of mandarin ducks. Haven't started construction at all yet, was just wondering I this would be ok? If this is too small, please let me know what size aviary you think I should build for a mandarin duck pair. I'm kinda limited on space, so I can't go too huge, but I DEFINATELY wouldn't want them to be crammed either. All suggestions are helpful! Thank you!
    :)

2. AliciaM

AliciaM Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Yelm Washington
    I don't have an answer, but im hoping to learn a bit from this myself... I just fixed up an 8 x 10 pen for my 2 pair of young mandarins...Its only temporary, but it looks to be big enough for now...The first pic is what I WANT my hubby to build.. The second pic is what im using for now..My 2 pair are only 6 weeks old, so plenty of time to build..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. SwedishDude99

Aug 20, 2013
    El Dorado County, Ca
    Oh ok. I saw the first picture and was like "wow, why would you want to replace that?" Then I read that it wasn't yours. But the one you have looks great too. You shouldn't need to replace that. I just don't have enough room so I need something small. I really want these guys though so I'm willing to try everything I can. So I guess the square footage for the design I talked about in my first post is about 19 sq ft. I don't know how much time they spend up in the trees so idk if the height of the aviary would count as space too? I have found a ton of info on mandarins, but nothing really on housing and I would like to have some ideas from experienced people instead of false Internet information.:)

4. JJRS

JJRS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    Does that say 2.8 feet long?

5. 3BirdGirlz

3BirdGirlz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2013
    Montana
    I think 2.8 ft long is a bit small. They won't be able to fly well in that. Maybe if you could make it 5ft? The one I'm building will be 16x30x8 high. But I'm lucky enough to have the room.

6. SwedishDude99

Aug 20, 2013
    El Dorado County, Ca
    Yeah I could probably make it 5 ft. It will have to go in a different spot in the yard but I could make that work. And 9 ft long is good right?

7. SwedishDude99

Aug 20, 2013
    El Dorado County, Ca
    O I'm sorry I meant 2.8 feet wide not long. Can't imagine it would make that big of a difference but still. So what I was thinking originally was 9 x 2.8 x 6 ( L x W x H)

8. AliciaM

AliciaM Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Yelm Washington
    The small hoop hut in the pic I posted above is an 8 x 10..I "think" its about 6 ft tall in the center...If I were to use it for a permanent enclosure, id personaly only have 1 pair in it... As it is, the 2 pair im putting in there are young, so I think it should work until another pen is built..

9. JJRS

JJRS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    I would suggest 8 x 10 as a minimum surface area for a pair of ornamentals. The ground space will be significantly reduced once a pond is installed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by