Question For All About A Hatch Problem ! Please Help ! !

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by swtrpeter, Aug 15, 2014.

1. swtrpeter

swtrpeter New Egg

Sep 15, 2013
    I am having a problem with hatching eggs. I built an incubator with turner and a hatcher to do this because the cheap styrofoam ones were not large enough for the amount of eggs i was hatching. Listed below are the setting on both the incubator and hatcher followed by the issue that I am having. I had the same issues with the little giant incubators also and was hoping this issue would resolve itself by building the incubator with better controls for temp etc.

Incubator has fans for heat circulation with 2-150 watt light bulbs for heat controlled by fully electronic thermostat set at 100 degrees and never drops below 99 degrees and does not go over 100 degrees. Normally keep the humidity during the first 18 days at around 30%.

Hatcher has fans to circulate heat with the same source as listed above the 2 bulbs controlled by fully electronic thermostat set at 100 degrees that does not go below 99 degrees and does not get over 100 degrees. We keep the humidity at at least 50% during the last few days.

The issue that we are having is around a 25%- 30% hatch rate. We do not keep our eggs over 7 days and turn them while waiting to go in the incubator. The embryos are developing but dying before pipping or dying after pipping in the egg. We can crack the egg after we know they will not hatch and they will be fully developed but just didn't hatch.We have also noticed some chicks are coming out of the egg with intestines partially sticking out where they were attached to the egg itself. I am needing some advice on this because it is killing our production. I thought it may be the rooster but I got eggs from another local hatchery and had the same results so that kinda rules out the rooster. Our flocks are well kept and fed to achieve the proper nutrients for their health and egg health. So I am at a loss on what to try next so I am hoping someone on here can give me some advice to move forward and resolve this issue. Thanks for reading and thanks for any advice offered..

2. Mamasaurus

Mamasaurus Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2014
    I would say you need to keep the humidity higher in the last few days - I think around 75-80% is recommended but I'm no expert!! Sounds like they can't break through a very dry egg?[​IMG]

3. swtrpeter

swtrpeter New Egg

Sep 15, 2013
    Anybody else have any ideas?

4. darkbluespace

darkbluespace Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Portland Oregon
    What kind of turner are you using because if chicks are sticking to the eggs it sounds like they are not being properly turned. That could also account for the full grown chicks that don't hatch because they are also stuck in their shells. Temp and humidity seems right... have you calibrated your hygrometer so you are sure of the humidity?

5. swtrpeter

swtrpeter New Egg

Sep 15, 2013
    They are being turned by a turner that i built. They are getting turned at least 5 times daily and motor is set on timers. I am sure of the humidity. The eggs are not stuck to them they are just not pipping and some are pipping just not cracking the rest of the egg to get out. Maybe it is a ventilation issue. You can hear them peeping in the egg through the hole they have made but they just wont crack the rest of the way out and die. Then some are fully developed just never pip at all.

6. darkbluespace

darkbluespace Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Portland Oregon
    You said it, not me : ) Anyway, maybe the fans are drying them out before they can hatch? I hope you figure it out, good luck.

7. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi
    I would have to agree with mamasaurus on this one about the humidity not being high enough for the last few days. I would think that if they are pipping holes but then dying they are too dry to b able to turn and zip in the egg. Very best of luck with your future hatches.:jumpy

8. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I, too, think this is a humidity problem. I know some are doing dry hatches, but my incubator instructions call for 40-50% humidity during incubation and 60-70% during hatching. And others have told me they aim for 50% during the incubation period which is near where I try to keep it now.
    See if you get a better hatch rate raising your humidity. It won't hurt and might well be an easy fix.

9. Mamasaurus

Mamasaurus Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by