Question for all the Teenagers/Kiddos on here

amyquilt

Serama Mama
11 Years
May 17, 2008
Amarillo, TX
So tell me...

Are you homeschooled?? If so, do you like it?? Did you ever go to public/private school, then moved to homeschool??

Do you go to public/private school?? Do you like it? Do you wish you were homeschooled??

I'm just curious. We started our dd in public school for kindergarten. Then first grade we have homeschooled. She says she hates it
sad.png
But everyone tells me that alot of kids moved from public school to homeschool don't like the first year, but then the start liking it.

We're on the fence what to do. Put her back in public school or ride it out at least another year homeschooling.

Thanks for your input!

I am an incoming highschool senior and am homeschooled. I absolutely love it! I was public schooled up until 3rd grade. I was home schooled from 4th to 6th, and then public schooled from 7th to halfway through my sophmore year of highschool. I am far above my grade level in almost all curricular respects, and could have graduated a year early, but decided not to. Because of the superior education I have gleaned from homeschooling methods, I am on the National Honor Roll, and have also been selected to be a student ambassador to other countries. I have never been able to afford any of the trips, but it certainly is a nice resume padder.
wink.png
I would highly recommend homeschooling to anyone who has the discipline and self reliance to succeed in that environment. If your daughter has an unduly short attention span, or does not seem to have developed the initiative to want to learn on her own, I would suggest waiting a few years before trying again. Just my two cents.
smile.png

Hi, this is Steven, my mom is Kate.
I went to public school for k - half of 3rd grade and I didn't like it very much because I had trouble with bullies and because the teachers there said my way of speaking was too high for my classmates and they didn't understand me. After a problom with a teacher and discipline my mom decided to yank me and homeschool me. I loved it but I was lucky because she is a teacher and knows what she is doing. She made sure I went a lot of places and had a lot different experiences and still had friends to hang with. Some home schooled kids get cut off from other kids and that is why they don't like it.
I think probably your kid is still where she wants to be with her friends during school and she misses them, I wold have too if my mom had not let me go to the first years there.
I chose to go back to school for high school so I could be in more sports and academic competitions because there is not much here for homeschooled kids. I also wanted to graduate with my friends and have a Prom, homecoming and stuff like that.
I think if you find something for your kid like clubs or groups at the places around you she might like it vbetter.
Steven

Hi! I'm in 6th grade. My mom homeschooled me when we were living on or sailboat for 2 years: 3rd and 4th grade. I TOOOTALLY hated it at first, now wish I could be homeschooled again. It was great because it was SOOO much shorter! In public school teachers and kids waste a lot of time talking and, in the teacher's case, trying to stop the talking! I go to public school now and it's not nearly as much fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to Public school, and I hated it... but only because I resented my parents for not sending me to boarding school in England LOL... I'll be going to high school for a semester starting in September, public school... I didn't mind high school so much. I would have died if I'd had to do homeschooling, I don't like it, at all. My problem with homeschooling, is parents who lack the knowledge and the skills to homeschool their children, and those children end up having no education to speak of, of course this is from my experience and I'm sure there are some excellent homeschooling parents on BYC, and out in the world, but I just don't like it. The other downfall, is that I believe in Ontario you cannot go to University if you were homeschooled, as you don't get an OSSD and because the government can't regulate what exactly you are being taught. Sure you can say you took University level English, but the University doesn't know what exactly you were taught, as even though you are supposed to follow the current curriculum, I am sure that not all parents do.

And for the record, I was accepted at the University of Sheffield in England to study Journalism, but had to decline as funds were just a bit shy of the needed, which was like 120K... I had to register as an international student, even though I was born in England, and am a full citizen. However, I will be applying and attending one of my selected Universities in the next couple years, for a degree in English & Literature, and then off to the UK to study Education, hopefully at the University of Essex... I was born in Essex
smile.png
As for my Canadian choices, I think perhaps the University of Prince Edward Island, or Lakehead U.

Last edited:
Quote:
What she said! I learned more because my mom didn't blow hot air me, she taught me. She does that in her class and that is why they have time to do more than others like the hatching, she doesn't waste time.

I'm not a teen/kiddo, but I was a homeschooled kiddo.

I was in public from K-6. Homeschooled (my request/choice, my sister did from 7-12 and I wanted to as well) K-12.

I think the big thing is to still continue lots of extra curricular activities and continue letting them do play dates and things with their kids. I LOVED the homeschooling field trips that we did.

What I didn't love is that I was in "American School" correspondence school and because of this and the fact that I did the work, but sent it off to be graded, I basically did it by myself. My mother was there, but truly did not have a part in the homeschooling itself other than when she wanted me to make dinner and called it "Home Ec.".
tongue.png

I have seen many children homeschooled and grow up to be smart, successful people.

I will be 30 this year and I still don't feel that I am smart nor successful, but I do have a good job and I do okay, I think.

(I was always wicked shy, though so in that area, I don't think homeschooling did me in favors just in the aspect that it enabled me to continue to be secluded somewhat.)

Well I have been in public school my whole schooling career, and I really think going to private would be better for me, but homeschooling never appealed to me because having a social life while learning really helps. In public school time is always taken away by kids talking and the teacher having to deal with people. Honestly I could learn all the stuff I learn throughout a whole day of public school in about an hour. Not much hands on either if you go to a big school. I am going to 9th next year, and fear it will only get worse, due to more people in a class, and the teacher will just be occupied by dealing with stupid kids who really don't want to learn. Another thing I am in Raleigh, NC and the public school in suburbia is nice, but they bus in kids from downtown, I am not saying anything racist or anything. If you come from a bad life being poor and stuff generally they act bad. I knew about 1/3 of our eight grade smoke marijuana not a good thing. And they were mostly the ones who were bussed in from downtown. So there are advantages and problems with everything, maybe try a little bit of everything, and see what your daughter likes. Personally I wish I did go to private school because, everyone would want to learn there. I have learned a lot in public school, and the teachers we have are really good, but its the constant distractions that are the problem. I manage a 4.0 grade point average in public school, and its a challenge so I do learn a lot, but again and I know its repetitive its all the distractions! A lot of people say homeschooling is great because its shorter, and I know thats true I have friends that are home schooled and only get schooling for about 3 hours, but you miss out on all of the social things. If you like homeschooling and your daughter does, I would home school until middle school, and then put her in public or private school. Thats just what I think but the choice ultimately lies in your hands.

One other thing: You get to sorta pick what you're going to do. I mean, you still have to study English, but instead of doing an essay on an assigned topic I could usually pick. Also, we studied marine biology, and it was tons of fun putting it into use by snorkeling every day!

Public school all the way through. And I wouldn't want it to be any other way. You just get so much interaction at school, no team sports or anything can really make up for it. Of all the home schooled kids I've met, the majority of them are still rather socially awkward. I've met some really cool ones though, the awkward kids probably just never left the house since they didn't go to school.

Back
Top Bottom