Question for Black Sumatra Breeders

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by renegaderidgefarm, Jan 11, 2010.

1. renegaderidgefarm

renegaderidgefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2009
    South Carolina
    I have a pair of Black Sumatra that started laying and so far I have hatched 2 little chicks. The chicks are black with yellow shading on there chest. The feathers started to come in on their wings this weekend and they are WHITE!!! Both parents are BLACK - perfect show quality birds! Where is the white coming from?? Is this normal?

2. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    Let me preface by saying I am not a sumatra breeder, however, I have raised several different black breeds and it has been my experience that as they fledge into their juevenile feathers, a white feather in the wing is not uncommon. I would definately like to see pictures of your birds (young and old). Were you fortunate enough to find a male bird with multiple spurs?

3. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    I don't have Sumatra, so I don't have personal experience there, but--lots of black birds are born with yellow fluff, and the juvenille feathers of said black birds often show a few white feathers. If they white doesn't go away when the bird's adult plumage grows in, then you've got a fault. Until then, not to worry. I don't know if Sumatra are any different or not, but hopefully someone who actually raises Sumatra will come along and let you know that their chicks look just like yours. [​IMG]

Good luck. I love the look of Sumatra....if I had the time/space for another breed, they'd probably be it!

4. renegaderidgefarm

renegaderidgefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2009
    South Carolina
    I have tried numerous times to get pictures of my Sumatras but they just won't be still so I can get a good pictures. My friendly hen wants to be the center of attention and get right up in the camera. I will try again if I get home before dark!! From what I can tell, my rooster only has the one spur but somebody told me the that the others would grow in with age. My birds are only about 8 months old. I had planned on raising and selling them but they have grown on me. My hen has the best personality and I just can't part with her. So, I will probably hold onto them.

5. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    I DO have bantam sumatras in black and blue, and yes they are born black and yellow mottled, the yellow turns white and molts away after they reach about 3-5 months. No worries all will be fine....

6. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    this is a common problem with most black chickens! they all (all the ones ive had) do this and it molts away as already stated

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by