Question for Deep Litter Users

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Roy Rooster, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Roy Rooster

Roy Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Hi All,

I have been using the DLM for about a year now, I have run into a new situation and need some advice.

Our weather has been very wet and cold, so the ladies have been spending a lot more time in the coop
    than last winter. Our winter last year was very mild so they were out a lot more.

Anyway, as you can imagine the litter is getting dirty, I add new shavings and mix regularly.
    I know that one of the advantages of LDM is the added warmth that it offers during cold months.

My question is, how dirty is too dirty for DLM? I don't want to compromise their health but I also
    don't want to take their warmth.

Any advice??

Thanks [​IMG]

Here are some pics of my coop. Our coop is raised about 4 feet off the ground, and has a wood floor.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If their feet are getting dirty add more litter, or if the litter becomes wet change it. You have a nice set-up for your birds.

3. Roy Rooster

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Ok, thanks I am glad you like my coop. The litter is dry, Their feet do not appear to be getting dirty. Muddy is more the
    word for their feet right now.

Do you mix DE or anything else like that into the litter in the winter?

Thanks

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I have never used DE;however, to do so would cause no harm.

5. Roy Rooster

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Ok, thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by