Question for dog breeders about dog in heat

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ams3651, May 22, 2010.

1. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    My 6 year old beagle has been in heat for what seems like a very long time. Its been probably a month maybe. Shes leaving spots but sometimes it seems a little watery and much larger than the usual little spots. Before I call the vet, who will just tell me to bring her in, Im wondering if it is a problem possibly or maybe because of her age. Unfortunately she did get out a couple weeks ago so theres no guarantee she didnt come in contact with a male.

2. ajablu

ajablu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2008
    Northeast, PA
    I have been a dog breeder for 31 years and have never seen one bleed for a month. I am assuming you mean she is has been bleeding red blood for this long? I have also never had a bred female bleed spots of blood two weeks after breeding. This is going by my experience that most females breed anywhere from day 9-to 15. Not all females follow this but most I have owned did. So if she got bred a couple weeks ago she should not still be leaving blood around. The only times I have heard of ccontinued bleeding is when there have been medical issues like a tumor or infection. Is she by any chance trying to urinate when she leaves spots? They can have a urinary tract infection of stones and try to pee but just pass some blood. I think a vet visit would be a good idea if she has been bleeding a month or so. Someone else may have had different experiences and can tell you what happened with their dogs.

3. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    3wks is normal so when you say probabley a month then is that just a guess.Anyways my females are in heat for 3wks.

4. pardygwyn

pardygwyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Have you checked for a fever yet?

5. ams3651

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    No I didnt check for fever but she has been sleeping in her crate alot which usually means she doesnt feel well. she doesnt seem to be in pain and is happy when she goes outside. I think previously she was in heat 2 weeks or so, last in october. I will wath her for a little while yet. thanks

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  6. pardygwyn

pardygwyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    If she's feeling under the weather AND has had discharge for a long time, PLEASE check her temps - especially at her age. Normal rectal temperatures for a dog hover around 101 degrees Fahrenheit. If she's any higher than 102, get her to a vet ASAP. You don't want to wait when it comes to sick doggy uteri.

7. MomtoSyd&Emma

MomtoSyd&Emma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Southern VA
    We have been through this twice now, once with a rescued toy poodle and my sisters boxer. The poodle did this, then all of a sudden had a HORRIBLE bleeding session, she was rushed to the Vet and diagnosed with pyometra, the Boxer, just wouldnt stop having her seasonal discharge, it wasnt bloody more like show. Both had to have ER spays. The poodle was 8 yrs old and the Boxer was only a year old.

If she was mine (even with our money as tight as it is) she would be seen by the Vet on Monday and spayed as soon as they could do it!

plus at her age, you dont want her having pups, esp. since you dont know if she was received fully and by what! (large dogs can breed small ones, and it has resulted in death of the pregnant female)

8. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    It does seem like quite a long time for her to be bleeding, a vet visit wouldn't hurt!!

However, if she IS healthy then she is by no means past breeding age at all. I had a Yellow Lab that had her first litter at age 9 with no troubles at all.

9. ams3651

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    She had puppies before I owned her and has a c section scar so i dont want to go thru that. I guess I will go up tomorrow and get the papers for the spay and nuter program, I think it only costs $20. That may solve what ever is going on and will get her seen.

10. DaveP

DaveP Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2009
    Sunny Florida
    A pyometra cannot wait it is an emergency and left for a few days can cause death.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by