Question for dog breeders about when dogs come into heat

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by bossynbella, May 23, 2010.

1. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    First of all I want to explain a little of my background so as to avoid those people who will tell me to fix my dog and that I shouldn't be breeding. My mom raised and showed Basenji's years ago and I grew up hearing the stories of that. 7 years ago I Had a stud beagle. He was wonderful and I can tell you alot about the male side of the breeding business. Five years ago I moved to a apartment and had to give Brady away. I visited him often till he passed away three years ago. Now I live on a farm, have lots of room. Last fall I finally got my female beagle who I had wanted for ever and by a chance and good luck I ended up with a second female beagle this spring. Annie was born July 14th 2009 and Lacey was born October 3rd 2009. Annie was 6 weeks old when we got her. Now she is 10 months old and has still never come into heat! We plan to wait till her second heat to breed her but... Why hasn't she come into heat yet? her vulva is very small and from behind you can not even see it. She tried to hump Lacey, I think it might just be a dominate thing, though they play great together the rest of the time. My husband thinks Annie is sterile and will never come into heat. I have no idea. Is it possible for a dog to come into heat without noticing it?
    Lacey's vulva is much larger, pointed down and clearly visable from behind. Shortly after we got her I noticed this and even contacted the previous owner as to wether she had been in heat before ( I was concerned as they had kept her with her two brothers) They told me no and since she is obviously not pregnant ( I have had her since the begining of April) I am guessing this is just one of those things that are not the same on all dogs?

Any advice would be appreciated. I love Annie and Lacey both, have no plans to get rid of them even if they should never come into heat, (as long as they don't kill any more of my ducks) but still am hoping that someday I will be able to have a litter of baby beagles.

These dogs are as different as night and day. Annie is tall (right at the limit for beagles without being disqualified) and has alot of white on her. She has to be chained when outside because she will take off and not come back for hours. She chases and tries to kill the chickens and ducks, and is way to strong (she has broken 3 tie out cables, that are rated for 60+ pounds and one that was rated for 100+ pound dogs.) She hates to have her stomach rubbed or be rolled over onto her stomach, she is very sweet when she wants to be but is nothing like my male Brady was. Lacey is small only 13" very dark, only white is on her legs and tummy, she lives for me, she wants nothing more then to please me and is "up my butt all the time" I can't turn around without tripping over her and she tries to crawl in my lap when I go to the bathroom. She loves to have her tummy scratched and can be let run free outside. If you yell at Annie she takes off the other way, If you yell at Lacey she comes running to you.
    Well I just wanted to provide as much information as possible. If there is anything you need to know that isn't included please let me know.
    Thanks in advance for all the advice.
    Melissa

2. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    One dogs are like humans they develop at different times the one might just be not ready for coming into season, if she is small for her age maybe her body is not ready I would wait past their 2nd heat to breed them we waited until the female was at least 2 years old which means her 4th heat they come into heat about every 6 months this is what we did so we could make sure that the female was large enough and mature enough to handle the pregnancy and motherhood. I hope someone will chime in that has more recent breeding experience.

3. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    Just wanted to clarify. Its the older dog.. the larger dog the almost 11 month old dog, Annie, that i'm concerned about. I don't plan to breed her right away. Was wondering if other then the obvious sign of bleeding if there are other signs, was wondering if some dogs don't bleed.

4. gogoalie

gogoalie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Alaska
    Yer dog should've had her 1st heat cycle at 6 mos of age, & again at 12 mos...

5. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    To answer your question, no it's not always obvious when a female is in heat unless there's a male around that lets you know...lol I've had some the bleed profusely (for a dog) and some that don't at all.

I have nine dogs, 4 females that are not fixed, and until they are ALL in heat I don't much notice as they are not in the same pen as the boys, who ARE fixed.

6. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    i have a female beagle, 3 years old, that only comes in heat once a year. i bred her to my male beagle in january and she had her first litter. they are AKC, under 13 inches

7. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Some times it is hard to know if they are in heat, some dogs show all kind of symptoms while other show no signs sorry I must have mixed up the dogs. she might have had her first puppy heat and you might have missed it the 1st heat sometimes is hard to notice the one at a year old should be longer and more pronounced at least when we breed dogs that is the way they were not sure on all dogs. but I would wait until they are 2 before breeding and have all the test done that shows they are healthy.

8. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    They don't always come into heat their first year. I have mini poodles from one dam that about never come in heat their first time until they are a year, going on a year and a half. That is fine with ME! Just one more heat I don't have to deal with over the long haul. Anyhow, not every dog comes in heat early, just like all girls don't start their menses at 12. Some are earlier, some are later, much later.

9. Puresilk

Puresilk Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Yale
    I bred boxers for 12 years, and hounds for 20. I have had females come in heat at 5 months, and have had females NOT come in heat until 15 months old. Females coming in that late isnt real common but not unheard of. In my experiences, if a female doesnt come in around 6-7 months old, they tend to wait until 12-14 months old. Just my experiences and what I have learned from my father. Good luck [​IMG]. Also, if you have one female come in heat, if you kennel the other female RIGHT NEXT to her or even in the same pen if they have that type of temperament, one female in heat can bring another one into heat. Have seen that many times.

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I have one family of beagles that run their first heat cycle at 12 to 14 months old. After that they come in heat once a year. Most beagles tend to have their first heat cycle at 6-9 months of age and every 6 months after that. Just as Puresilk said one female coming in heat can induce the other to cycle also. There is nothing wrong with your dogs just be patient.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by