Question for everyone here...

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by casportpony, Dec 13, 2014.

1. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Would any of you be interested in hearing what vets and vet techs have to say about fecals tests, the reasons they might produce false negatives and what could be done about it?

-Kathy

2. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

Naw, not me... [​IMG] Sure we would! Bring it on!

I have never had a false negative, if I did I would think that something in the process was bad like the collection method, handling, or the tech didn't know what to look for.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    The first few times I took in poults with blackhead their tests came back negative. And the gal with the spalding had one negative, then one positive.

-Kathy

4. KsKingBee

I suspect that the fancy place she took her sample to was not in the everyday practice of fecal floats, wasn't it the dog and cat vet that came up with results?

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

6. KsKingBee

By direct smear do you mean they just smeared it on a slide without putting it into a solution, then the centrifuge, waiting for the eggs to float then putting it onto a slide?

7. KsKingBee

I'm not sure what the time lapse would do to the sample sending it off, my vet wants it to be as fresh as possible.

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I think they did both. Got charged $20 for one and $30 for another.

-Kathy

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    My samples were taken from the exam table, lol. [​IMG]

-Kathy

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by