Question for grocery store cashiers!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by heatherindeskies, Sep 15, 2011.

1. heatherindeskies

heatherindeskies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    When I go through the check out with a basket, lately the person asks me to remove the items and put them on the belt. I've never been asked to do this before and am curious at to why, especially when they have to handle each item to scan it anyway.
    Yep, could be I'm just lazy, but I'm just curious as to why both of us are now handling the items instead of the associate just taking them out of the basket.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    It really doesn't make sense when you think about it does it? I always empty the basket but that's just reflex as I always empty the carts, which of course is needed for them to tally. I suppose it's just one of those non functional niceties like saying "bless you" after someone sneezes. Do I believe it's warding off demons when they are most susceptible? Heck no. If we were truly being helpful we'd just offer a handkerchief for them to clean up with.

3. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Winfield
    I don't know, but I am not stable enough to deal with that. I would flip the basket to dump it, then hand the basket to her. Glaring the whole time.[​IMG]

4. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Maybe it has something to do with customers claiming the cashier damaged their groceries upon taking them out of the basket? [​IMG]

5. heatherindeskies

May 23, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    Quote:OK, I would like to see you in action doing this. Let me know next time you are at the store. [​IMG]

6. heatherindeskies

May 23, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    Quote:could be.....

7. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    If it's a policy thing, it's likely because the security camera can see better that way. Or whatever reason.

8. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Winfield
    Quote:OK, I would like to see you in action doing this. Let me know next time you are at the store. [​IMG]

Wal Mart has is coming, but they won't say anything to you. The grocery store people hate me, because when I buy 4 items, they can figure out a way to put them in 5 bags. So, I rebag them. While in line.

9. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Maybe it's so they can organize it?? Most of the cashiers I have tend to organize things in the bags, like all the cans in these bags, boxes there, etc.

Either way, I do it out of habit. [​IMG]

Aw, now look... You got me thinking of going grocery shopping again and checking out at a certain person's register... [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  10. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    Quote:X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by