1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question for horse people (past or present) aged 30-60

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by HEChicken, Jan 10, 2010.

1. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    When I was a kid, I found a series of books at my local book exchange that I loved. I remember one was about two English kids whose father's job forced them to move to Texas for awhile. They grew to love the wide open spaces and rode their horses back and forth to their neighbor's house, several miles away. A subsequent book followed them as they moved back to England, and were visited by their American friends. Another (unrelated) book was about a girl whose family was too poor to get her a horse. She adopted one that was going to be killed and with TLC turned him into a gymkhana pony. She was befriended by the little snobby rich girl she had always envied.

The thing is, I can't remember the NAME of any of these books. I don't think the two different books were even written by the same author (but might have been), but I'm certain the publisher was the same because the books had the same look and feel. Anyway, I would love to find copies of these books again, but not knowing the names of them, it makes it really hard to search. I'm hoping this will sound familiar to others who were horsey kids in this era and read every horse book they could find! If you read these books and can help with author, title, publisher, ANYTHING that would help me track down copies somewhere, I'd love to hear from you.

2. heritagebirds

heritagebirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Eastern Shore MD
    Yikes, I could've read either one, in fact they both sound familiar, but I couldn't tell you...sorry

3. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I haven't read them either - do you remember the name of the main characters? Our library catalog allows you to search by subject. Maybe you can get on a rare books database and start typing in random subject words or the main characters name, hopefully something will pop up to trigger your memory.

4. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    The second book sort of sounds like "A Horse Of Her Own" ... But I cannot remember all the details of the book. I am not really familiar with the first series. You might check out www.ponydom.com and/or amazon.com. Hope that helps a little!! [​IMG]

5. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Can't say I recall them.... but have you read Black Beauty?

6. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    That last story sounds familiar - The Golden Pony? Boy, you have me dipping way into my horse crazy childhood memories- I read everything the library had. Good luck in your search!

7. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    A Horse Named Gem.

My mom found these books at a garage sale and she still has them in her basement

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by